Episode 12

"The Less I Know The Better", Tame Impala

At the Pearl, everyone was prepping for the night. James waited for Ahmed to leave the room before talking with Aidan. As I came closer to the bar to grab some documents I had left on the counter, I heard their conversation. As usual with James, it was not exactly discreet.

"These things happen. It's not your fault, I can assure you," Aidan said.

"What is it, honey? Are you alright?" I asked.

"It's over between Ahmed and me. We broke up a few days ago."

I put my hand on his arm. "Oh, sweetie. Why did you not tell me?"

"You had other things on your mind."

"I am so sorry."

"He thinks it's his fault but it's not," Aidan said.

"Coming from you, it is kind of ironic," James said. "You dumped me, remember? I'm dumpable. That's it."

Aidan's expression got sad. "Don't say that."

"I know I can be difficult, but at least I'm honest."

"I hope you will find someone that will make you happy. You deserve it."

James frowned. "Do I? Really? With all that I've done. Maybe it's just karma. Maybe he could not fall for me because he could feel the monster in me."

"I do not think it was that," I said.

"Yeah, well."

"No, I am telling you. It has nothing to do with that. It is simply that, sometimes, things do not work out."

"And I've done a lot of things too. But El loves me for what I am," Aidan said looking at me.

James rolled his eyes. "Thank you for rubbing your happiness all over my face. I'm glad you're happy and you've found THE special bond you were looking for. Congratulations."

"Come on. This is not what I meant. I mean that there is someone for you out there if this is what you want."

"Destiny, blah blah? Are you kidding me? We are centuries old, mate. We know that the world doesn't work like that. There is no master plan, greater meaning, whatever. Things happen, but not necessarily for a reason."

"I agree," Aidan sighed. "I don't know, call me sentimental, but I am utterly convinced that there is someone for you."

James stared at Aidan. "For a minute, I thought it was you. A long time ago. What about blinded fool?"

"But now you hate me, so problem solved."

"Exactly."

"Let's have a drink."

"Finally, you're talking some sense," James said.

Aidan went to grab some bottles and glasses.

"By the way, speaking of destiny and stuff, I talked to Amaury," James added.

"Really?" I said. "What did he tell you?"

"With my out-of-this-world tact, I managed to convince him to tell me which creature it was. But you will not like the answer."

"Oh no. Do not tell me it is..."

Aidan came back with the drinks.

"A demon. Yep,"

"Oh my god."

"Alright. At least now we know what we are dealing with," Aidan said.

"Yes, but he's right. There is no solution to a demon curse," James shrugged.

"There must be something we can do."

"That you never heard of in 2000 years?"

"Please, James, I have to believe...," I said.

"No, you're right. If someone can find a loophole, love, it's definitely you."

"Thank you."

"I'm here if you need anything."

I smiled. "Same."

Aidan put his arm around my waist and I leaned into him.