Saturday night at the Pearl - Episode 7C (Christmas special)

"Gentle Storm", Elbow

"Amaury."

"Elise."

I fell into his arms, holding him as tight as I could as if to never let him go.

He wiped some tears off of my face with his thumb and then our heads touched in a moment of reconnection. The intensity of this instant showed me that nothing had changed between us. It felt as if he were gone yesterday.

"I missed you so much," he said.

"I missed you too."

We could not tell much more than that. I led him to my office to talk in a quieter space but, at first, we sat in silence on the couch.

"You stole your own sword," I finally said.

"I'm sorry I broke into your home. I was not thinking straight. I wanted to know if it were really you but I was scared to see you."

"Why?"

He averted his eyes. "So much has happened. I'm not the man you knew."

"I know, but you are still my best friend."

I put my hand on his cheek, and he moved back. I did not insist.

"You kept my name," he said, after a moment.

I smiled. "Yes. I wanted to keep the memory of you alive." And after a pause, I asked: "Where do you live?"

"Berlin. I came to Paris because I heard about you and your club. But now that I have found you, I'm going to move here." He hesitated. "I mean, if it's okay with you."

"Are you insane? Of course, it is okay with me. This is wonderful. But you do not have to quit your life in Berlin. You know, it is the 21st century now, I can take a plane and go see you there whenever I want."

He stood up and turned his back to me. "There is nothing for me in Berlin anymore," he said.

I joined him and put my hand on his arm. "Darling, are you alright?"

"Yes."

I could feel that there was something that he was not telling me. He looked at me with the deepest sorrow in his eyes. "And you, how is your life here? Are you happy?"

"Well, I am surrounded by an amazing group of people. I love my club. I sing a lot."

He smiled. "I'm not surprised. I remember your voice."

"But what will probably surprise you is that I have met someone."

"Oh!"

"Yes. And that is not all. He is a vampire."

I thought it could be something that would shock him but it was definitely not.

"Yes, I saw you with him. Does he make you happy?"

"He really does. He understands and respects me. I was surprised, you know? It happened so rarely for me."

"I know, I remember."

"We danced on 'Sad Eyes' by Bruce Springsteen. Can you believe it?"

"Hardly."

We laughed and Amaury put an arm around my shoulders as I leaned against him.

"I feel that there is something you want to tell me but you do not know how," I said. "So I just want to tell you I will be there whenever you feel ready."

Amaury did not say a word, but he kept me closer to him.

"I have so many questions. Like, Beatles or Stones?" I asked to make him laugh.

"Is that even a question?"

We looked at each other and said at the same time: "Beatles."

"Let me guess," he said. "You love Diana Ross and Lady Gaga."

"Man, you are good. You, I would say Bowie and Britney. Am I right or am I right?"

"You are not wrong."

"God, I cannot wait to watch movies with you, to sing and dance with you at the club. I am so happy, darling."

It felt like home to tell him about my life but it was almost as if I could not believe it was true. The feeling was too real, too overwhelming. His presence. It was such a gift, that I doubted my luck.

"Can you tell me more about your vampire?" He said softly.

"Aidan is a painter. He has this capacity of observation and this sensitivity to details which are quite unique. I love the fact that he often makes me see things I had not noticed, like a color or a texture, or a shadow. He is kind and tender. He listens to me and we have these moments of silence which are so comfortable. You know, the minute I have seen him, I felt a deep connection, as if he had spoken to my soul."

"I am so happy for you."

"Do you want to meet him?"

"Alright."

I took his hand, and we went down the stairs. The joy of the party overwhelmed me again. It had been, to say the least, a very special night.

 It had been, to say the least, a very special night