Episode 3

"Ultraviolet", Freya Ridings

In Aidan's living room, the cold light of the winter afternoon shined faintly.

"I do not understand, Aidan. He said, in the letter I found, that he wanted to see me again. Why is he running away from me then?" He put down his paintbrush and sat beside me on the couch. "I am worried. There is something wrong," I said.

"We'll find him. It's going to be fine." I nodded, trying to convince myself. "I promise. And if there is a problem, we'll deal with it, together."

I smiled and kissed his hand. He pulled me against him and held me. "Do you want to stay here tonight?" He said.

"Yes."

James knocked on the glass door and opened it slightly. "Am I interrupting?"

I pretended to be annoyed. "Aren't you always?"

He laughed. "Seriously, I can leave if you wish."

"Do not be ridiculous. Come in, it is freezing out there."

"Do you want some tea?" Aidan asked us. I nodded.

"Can you spice it up?" James said.

Aidan rolled his eyes. "I can."

"Then yes."

James took off his jacket and his beanie, threw them on a chair, and sat in front of me, while Aidan was in the kitchen. "What's going on?" He said. "How were things with your friend?"

"I did not find him. Apparently, he was looking for me but now that we could meet, it seems like he does not want to."

"Why?"

"I have no idea. But I have a bad feeling."

"Well, the situation is complicated, right? When did you see him for the last time?"

"14th century."

"Wow."

Aidan came back with lapsang souchong, one of my favorites, and a special cup for James.

I drank a sip and looked at James quite dramatically. "So, enough about me, what about you and Ahmed?"

I smiled and James put his hand in his hair nervously. "What do you mean?"

"You danced together."

"Yeah. Well, I don't know, I just felt like it. He was very handsome last night, don't you think?"

"Definitely," Aidan said. "But he is a mortal and you are a recovering addict."

"I know."

"Do you?"

"We made some progress. I can control myself."

"To a certain extent yes. But it is early on and you know it."

"Aidan, mind your own business."

"Yeah, right." Aidan stood up in anger and left the room.

"I agree with him," I said softly. "I know that you do not want to hurt Ahmed but it is dangerous. If you feel you are slipping or if you need help in any way, please tell me. I am here for you."

"I know," he said. And after a silence: "Aidan's such a pain in the ass sometimes."

"He cares about you, that is all."

"Yes," he sighed.

When James left, I joined Aidan in his room. I put my arms around his waist and leaned on his back. Both our breathing synchronized, and we calmed down little by little. I felt safe, and I knew he did too.