Episode 13

"One", Three Dog Night

Amaury finally joined us at the club and we talked about ideas to help him. The information we had was scarce. I had heard about demons but had never met one in my entire life. It was the same for James and Aidan.

Amaury seemed more in a fighting mood than before. I did not know what James had told him, but it had been definitely efficient.

I left the booth to grab some drinks for everyone. At the counter, I asked Ahmed and seized the opportunity to see how he was.

"I'm fine," he said. ".... And how is he?"

"He is sad, but he is going to be alright."

"You think so?"

Ahmed pointed at the stage, and I turned my head. James was at the piano, and this was generally not a good sign. Big-show-behind-the-mic was "happy James" but acoustic-tune-behind-the-piano was classic "upset James".

Aidan came closer to me: "We'll have to be there for him."

"You're afraid he could drink human blood again?"

"Maybe."

"We will keep an eye on him. But something tells me he is going to be fine."

"Mum?" A voice said behind me.

I turned my head and saw Ethan. "Sweetie!" We hugged, and I kissed him on the forehead. "Oh my god. I am so happy to see you."

He looked at Aidan and, after a second, smiled and offered his hand to shake.

"My love, this is Ethan, my son. Ethan, this is Aidan."

"I'm very glad to meet you," the vampire said.

Ethan nodded and smiled but did not reply.

"Come with me. You have to meet everyone."

I brought him to the booth and introduced him to Amaury. I had told Ethan a few days before what was going on with him. I could see that the immortal was very emotional about meeting my son and that the feeling was mutual. It warmed my heart.

"So what's the fuss about?" James said while joining us.

"James darling, this is my son Ethan."

"Oh. Wow. Nice to meet you. You don't have anything against vampires, right?"

"James. Please," I stopped him. I looked at my son and added: "Do not mind him. He is a master at bad first impressions."

"I can see that. Well, listen, let's make everything clear from the start. I'm not a big fan of vampires, that's right, but I trust my mother's judgment. She says that you are good guys. I believe it."

James turned towards me. "You said we are good guys? Seriously? I have a reputation, you know. You can't spread dangerous rumors like that."

I smiled and hugged him. He pretended to be disgusted.

"I look forward to knowing you better," Aidan said to Ethan.

"Same. Mom said you're a painter. I would love to see your work." He was really trying.

"Of course. Same for me: photographer, right?"

"Exactly."

I breathed more easily. That was it. They had met. Things were going great. It lifted a weight on my heart. And it felt so precious to have my son, my best friend, and the man I loved in the same room. I was overwhelmed with joy, even if I knew it was temporary.

 I was overwhelmed with joy, even if I knew it was temporary