Saturday Night At The Pearl, Episode 25B

Lucas' Playlist: "Elastic Heart", Sia

I went down the stairs to join the party. Anna took the mic the moment I entered the room. "And she's back!"

A wave of sound and applause followed her announcement. After a second of surprise, I waved at everyone and smiled. All of a sudden, my months of captivity were given a tangible form. I was indeed back. But for how long?

Yon was waiting for me. In her white t-shirt, pair of baggy jeans, and sneakers, she blended in perfectly with the young crowd of the party. "Is it always like that?" She asked.

"Well, yes. As a matter of fact, it will get even better in a few minutes. At least, I hope so," I said with a wink.

I took a deep breath and got up on stage. Live in the present. Enjoy this moment. You are back.

"I am so glad to be here with you tonight. Is everyone having fun?"

The room roared.

"Perfect. So what did you choose for me tonight? Anna?"

She shuffled the pieces of paper in the jar with the confidence of the habit and pulled one in a triumphant gesture. I was not the only one going through the motions as if nothing ominous could happen. I fed on her energy.

"'Elastic Heart' by Sia."

"Alright. Great! Lucas, are you ready?"

He nodded and started the music.

I could see Yon from the stage. She exchanged a few words with Anna who started to dance and pushed Yon to do the same. Reluctantly at first, the young immortal let the music in and swung her body following the rhythm.

I felt some of the words of the song deeply. I sang it, not with spite, but with a raw energy that needed to be expressed. I was doing everything I could. I would do everything I could.

Aidan and Ethan left the office to join the crowd during the song, then James and Amaury. They watched me without a move, leaning on the opposite wall. It felt like a band of soon-to-be ghosts, waiting for the end. It made me sing even harder.

I crossed their eyes, each and every one of them. "You need to wake up, you need to fight," I thought. But I acknowledged why they did not want to. Because they knew that I would fight to the death, that I did not think I would come back. But what more could I ask? I had the opportunity to have all of them in my life: it was more than I had ever hoped for. And not losing them was worth every sacrifice.

 And not losing them was worth every sacrifice