Episode 22

"Stop This Flame", Celeste

"Let me deal with that," Abosede said.

The day after I arrived in Paris, I went to see her. I knew, by Aidan, she had tried to help. He wanted to come with me, but I declined. I was confident that I could trust her, and I knew this issue had to be dealt with among immortals.

Abosede was very righteous and only loyal to a point. She could not tolerate Alastair's plan. It was against everything she believed in.

We met under the arches of the Palais Royal. Even with the early morning breeze, the garden kept its coziness. An old couple was sitting on a bench; a woman was walking her dog. It was peaceful and quiet.

Abosede was wearing a long red coat, strict and dazzling at the same time, a combination that was definitely her signature.

"Let me deal with that," she repeated.

"Alright. But it has to stop."

She nodded.

"What is going to happen for The Council?" I asked.

"We will see about that."

I smiled. "Perfect. You know that if you need help, you can call me."

"I will." She stopped for a minute and turned towards me. "I know about your husband."

"You do? How?"

"Well, I just know."

"Can you help?"

"I do not have a solution, but you should talk with Ikshan. They should probably know what to do."

She gave me a piece of paper with an address in Budapest.

"Thank you."

"You're very welcome."

As I walked through the streets of the second district, my heart was racing. I was supposed to meet Aidan at a coffee shop near the Galerie Vivienne. I could barely see the buildings around me and the people in the streets. My feet were leading me to my destination.

All I could think about was the countdown in my head. Amaury only had a few weeks left. We had been robbed of the months we could have had together and now I was going to lose him again. Unless we could find a solution. And finally, thanks to Abosede, we had a lead. I was too afraid to let myself hope for the best.

Aidan was already there, an espresso on the table in front of him, looking around. He was so tense that he almost stood up when he saw me.

"She is going to take care of Alastair," I said.

"Can she?"

"She definitely can."

"Alright."

"My love, she gave me a name. For Amaury. There might be something we can do."

"Really?"

"I have to go to Budapest."