Episode 9

"Head Shoulders Knees and Toes (Acoustic Version)", Ofenbach

When I met James at his apartment, he showed me some old albums he wanted to give to Ahmed as a gift. At his place, in the second district, shelves were crumbling under the weight of books and vinyl records on every wall, from floor to ceiling. He did not have a kitchen, only a microwave oven, a fridge where he kept his blood, and an old bar with a very dramatic collection of bottles. But the most impressive room was the second bedroom that he had turned into some kind of dressing room. There were clothes and shoes and jewelry everywhere, in no particular order, at least that I could understand.

I had to move some records and three different shirts to free enough room to sit on the armchair in front of him.

"Do you think he'll like them?" He asked.

"I am sure he will."

He frowned. "I know you disapprove of the fact that he is a mortal, but I'm hooked, you know."

I smiled. "I do not disapprove and it is not my place to judge. If you are happy, I am happy for you."

He had this spark in his eyes. There was something different about him when he talked about Ahmed. I could see how this relationship was important to him.

I changed the subject. "On the one hand, I am not sure I approve of your dressing room."

He pretended to be offended. "I don't know what you mean."

"But on the other hand, I think I am going to borrow this jacket."

"Not going to happen, love."

"You are so selfish."

Later that day, I saw Ahmed at the club and I tried to see how things were going from his point of view. He tried to avoid the question and seemed confused. "I don't know. I'm kinda lost," he said.

This was not the answer I was waiting for. "You can talk to me if you want."

"I know. But it is complicated. You are close with James."

I frowned, worried. "Did something happen?"

"No. I just... I mean, I'm very attracted to him. He is so freaking gorgeous. But I don't feel the spark, you know? I want to, but I don't."

I felt so sad for James. They were not on the same page at all. "I see."

Ahmed gave me an almost apologetic look. "I don't understand why. I mean, he's fascinating. But I think I'm more fascinated than involved if that makes any sense. I feel like I was kind of blinded by his light when I met him."

"It does make sense. Those things happen. You cannot convince yourself to feel something for someone."

He sighed. "I feel awful."

"Listen, it is not an easy situation, but it is going to be fine. Just talk to him, as soon as possible."

"I will."

We had feared that the vampire could hurt Ahmed but, in the end, the bartender would be the one to break James' heart. That was not something I had seen coming. I admired how much Ahmed knew himself and knew what he wanted. It was so healthy of him. I was not sure that the vampire would be that calm and sensible about the situation.

 I was not sure that the vampire would be that calm and sensible about the situation