The Downside Of Boosting

Kai POV

The massive robot breaks its binds and roars shaking the entire center. It then begins swinging its arms taking out buildings.

Kai: "Great. Just what my body needs, more stress. Better take it down quickly."

I power my feet and jump to the robot. As I land near it I see all the other students running away. I look over them and become scared.

Kai: "Deku! Where are you!?!"

I frantically search for him when I hear a scream. I look and see the girl from before trapped under rubble. Deku rushes in without hesitation to save her. When he jumps his right arm glows; it punches the robot causing a massive dent to its face. 

Tiny explosions erupt around it but it remains standing. It roars and smashes the buildings around it. I look and see Deku unable to move. The robot spots him and brings its foot up. My muscles tense up as I explode towards Deku.

Deku POV

It's over, I'm gonna die. The robot's foot comes down making me scream in fear. However instead of being squished I remain alive. I look and see Kai holding the robot's foot up. 

Deku: "Kai, you saved me!!!"

Kai: "Course little brother, it's my duty to make sure you're safe."

He offers a smile when the robot applies more pressure forcing Kai to his knee. 

Deku: "Kai!!!!"

Kai: "Have some faith baby brother, It's gonna take more than a massive robot to crush me."

Kai groans while getting back to his feet. I stare in wonder at his strength when the back lash of one for all hits me knocking me out.

Kai POV

I push my quirk further which makes my arms go numb. I ignore it and push the robot's foot off me. I then run away needing speed. Once I have enough distance I power up my speed and durability.

My left knee pops as I take off towards the robot. I launch myself tearing up the ground; I hold out my arms as I plow through the robot's chest. I fly out the other side holding its core. It creaks before falling on top of a building defeated. 

I sigh and feel the pain finally set in. I make my way back to the students where I see them all just standing there in shock. I head towards the girl as she sits down debating on whether she should puke.

Kai: "You good?"

Girl: "Yeah, just need a moment to catch my breath."

Kai: "You did well."

Girl: "You too."

I turn to Deku and notice his broken arm and legs. I grab the back of his track suit and look at the other students with a disappointed look.

Kai: "You lot disappoint me. You all ran away leaving that girl behind. Meanwhile this kid didn't, he ran in to save her without even thinking he could die. That's the mark of a true hero, saving people with no regard to your own safety. You should all be ashamed of yourselves."

I place Deku on my shoulder as he groans.

Deku: "Kai..."

Kai: "You did good, just rest."

He nods and passes back out. I look forward and head to the nurse's office. I lay him down on the bed as a small woman walks to him.

Woman: "What happened to him?"

Kai: "Backlash from his quirk."

Woman: "He sure is twisted."

Kai: "Think you can heal him?"

Woman: "Yes."

Kai: "Good."

I head out when the woman stops me.

Woman: "You want me to treat that limp?"

Kai: "No, it'll be fine in the morning."

Woman: "You shouldn't push yourself. If you're not careful then you'll end up just like your brother."

Kai: "I don't care. As long as he's safe I'll gladly risk damaging my body."

Woman: "That's either brave or foolish."

Kai: "Just fix him. And don't tell him about my limp."

Woman: "Yeah yeah."

I roll my eyes and head somewhere to wait for Deku. I groan while sitting down and look at my knee. A downside to boosting my body is the damage it does to me. If I'm not careful I'll push my body too far and I'll have to be hospitalized. I sigh and just think about Deku's own safety. 

He idolizes me and sees as this indestructible hero. If he found out my own power damages me It'll break his heart. So I must go out of my way to hide my injuries, to keep him from worrying and abandoning his path as a hero.