Hero Names

Kai POV

After resting for several days I'm done healing. My heart is fully healed meaning I can finally boost without issue. I make my way to class where Aizawa enters to begin the lesson.

Aizawa: "We have a big class today on hero informatics. You need codenames, time to pick your hero identities."

Everyone cheers but is quickly silenced by Aizawa.

Aizawa: "This is related to the pro hero draft picks that I mentioned the last time we were in class together. Normally students don't have to worry about the draft yet. Not until their second or third year actually but your class is different. In fact, by extending offers to first years like you pro heroes are essentially investing in your potential. Any offers can be taken back if their interest in you dies down before graduation. Now, here are the totals for those of you who got offers."

He presses a button which reveals a bar chart. I scan for my name and see quite a few number of offers. 

Aizawa: "In past years it's been more spread out, but there's a pretty big gap this time."

Deku: *dejected* "Glad to see you got offers."

Kai: "Cheer up, I'm sure you'll get offers too."

Aizawa: "Despite these results, you'll all be interning with pros. Got it? Even those of you who didn't get any offers."

Kai: "See? It worked out."

Aizawa: "These hero names will likely be temporary. But take them seriously or-"

Midnight: *walks in* "There'll be hell to pay later. What you pick today could be your codename for life. You should be careful or you'll be stuck with something utterly indecent."

Aizawa: "Yeah, she's got a good point. Midnight is gonna have final approval over your names. It's not my forte. The name you give yourself is important, it helps reinforce your image and shows what kind of hero you wanna be in the future. A codename tells people exactly what you represent. Take All Might for example."

We're handed cards and markers. I think of a name to use.

Midnight: "Now students, which among you is ready to share?"

Everyone adverts eye contact when Yuga walks to the front.

Yuga: "The shining hero: I can not stop twinkling!"

Kai: "Maybe try captain sparkles."

Deku snorts while Yuga looks like he's trying not to cry. Mina steps up and present hers.

Mina: "My hero name, Alien Queen."

Midnight: "Too terrifying."

Tsuyu: "I've had this name in mind since grade school. Rainy season hero: Froppy."

Midnight: "Delightful, it makes you sound approachable."

Deku: "What're you choosing Kacchan?"

Bakugo: "None of your damn business nerd!!"

I write down a name and swap mine and Bakugo's cards. He then takes his place in front of the class.

Bakugo: "Fire Flower."

I explode into laughter and fall out of my seat. 

Bakugo: "That was not what I wrote!!!!!!"

Kirishima: *holding back laughter* "Such delicate name. I like it."

Bakugo: "Shut up or I'll kill you idiot!!!!"

The rest of the class laughs at him as he storms to his seat to rewrite his name. Uraraka gets up from her seat and shows us her name.

Uraraka: "This is the name I thought of. Uravity."

Midnight: "I just love that."

The rest of the class shows their names.

Midnight: "Kai, you're the only one left."

I walk up to the podium and display my name. As soon as it comes into view everyone's eyes widen.

Mina: "It's blank."

Kai: "I know, that's the point."

Midnight: "Why haven't you written a name?"

Kai: "Heroes are more than names, they're ideals. Just about anyone can be a hero. All they gotta do is do what's right and fight for their beliefs."

Bakugo: "What a lame excuse."

Kai: "Shut up Fire Flower."

Bakugo: "That's not my name!!!!!"

Aizawa: "Now that everyone's decided on their hero names, we get back to talking about your upcoming internships. They'll last for one week. As for who you'll be working with, those of you who're on the board will choose from among your offers. Everyone else will have a different list. You have a lot to think about. There're around forty agencies across the country who've agreed to take on interns from your class. Each agency has a different specialty that each of its heroes will focus on. Keep that in mind. Turn in your choices before the weekend."

We're all handed papers, except me.

Kai: "Mr. Aizawa, I didn't get a paper."

Aizawa: "I know, you won't be interning for any of the agencies."