✥One✥

Genesis' View

I started to pack my truck with the rest of my gear. I locked the house and went to get inside my truck when Shane Walsh pulled up with Lori and Carl Grimes in his squad car.

"Shane? Weren't you supposed to be on duty now?" I asked as Shane walked up to my window.

"You're going back at this very moment?" Shane asked, rubbing his face with his hand.

"Yeah, they called me in an hour ago. Said something happened and needed me at Fort Benning as soon as possible." I explained.

"You aren't going. We have bigger things to worry about. Turn on your radio." Shane instructed, and I did.

I switched through the channels, but only static was coming through.

"Shane, what am I supposed to be listening for?" I looked up at him.

"There was an emergency broadcast over all the stations about people coming back to life. The hospital lost power, and when I tried to move Rick to a safer place, I couldn't hear a heartbeat." Shane sighed, making my head shoot up from the radio.

"Rick's dead?! Did you tell Lori and Carl?" I asked, glancing over to Shane's jeep.

"Yeah. But we have to get out of the city. Do you have everything with you?" Shane questioned, and I nodded. "Good, follow behind us." He said and walked back to Lori and Carl.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

After driving for a few hours, we were stuck on the highway. Everyone was.

People were getting out of their cars, and chit-chatting with other civilians waiting for the traffic to move. I got out of my truck and walked over to Shane and Lori.

"Anything?" I asked, leaning against the side.

"No, not even the emergency broadcast," Shane muttered.

"Mom, I'm hungry," Carl complained, and Lori ran her fingers through his hair.

"I know, baby." Lori sighed.

"Why don't I get him something to eat? Ed's into all this survival stuff. We've got enough M.R.E's to feed a small army." A woman, Carol was her name, said from beside her husband and daughter.

"I'd sure appreciate it," Lori said from on top of the squad car. I watched Carol walk to the driver's side of their car, and then heard the door slam.

"I'm gonna walk up that way, see what I can see. Gen, you coming with?" Shane got out of the car, as I followed.

"Yeah. Maybe we can see what the hell is taking so long." I said, grabbing my hat off of the squad car hood.

"Looks like we forgot to pack them. I'm sorry." Carol said with a disappointed look on her face.

"It's alright. Say, can you watch over Carl for a minute?" Lori asked. Before Carol could answer, Shane turned around.

"Lori, why don't you stay here with him? Gen and I have this covered." Shane suggested, and Lori nodded.

"We'll be back before you know it, Carl," I said, and followed Shane through the ocean of people.

"Okay."

"Just think, if I hadn't stopped you back at you and your brother's place, you would have been in the copter that went above us." Shane broke the silence between the two of us.