✥Thrity-Nine✥

Genesis' View

As Maggie held the baby, she cried.

I broke from the hug from Kaden and watched as Carl brought the baby towards Hershel.

"What are we gonna feed it? We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl asked.

"No. We have nothing." I answered, wiping my dried tears off my face.

"The good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula. And soon, or she won't survive." Hershel explained. I made sure my knife holster was in place and tight, before going for my gun.

The gun I left deep in the prison.

"Nope. No way. Not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run." Daryl said.

"I'm going with you." I followed him. Both Maggie and Glenn agreed to go, and we walked down towards the cars, but not before Rick sprinted into the prison.

The plan was for beth to stay and look out for Carl, while we went on a run.

I jogged towards the cars, my set of keys for the prison jingling on my side.

"There's a Piggly Wiggly on eighty-five," Glenn suggested.

"No, that place was cleared out. Lori asked me to keep an eye out for stuff." I explained.

"Is there any place that hasn't been completed looted?" Daryl asked.

"We saw signs for a shopping center just north of here," Glenn said.

"There was too much debris on the road. A car won't be able to get through there." Maggie explained.

"I can take one of you," Daryl said and went to his bike.

"I'll go," I said, and they both turned to me.

"Gen, you don't have to do this. One of us can go." Maggie looked at me.

"No, I have to. For her." I said and got on the back of the motorcycle. Maggie handed me the empty backpack, and I slightly nodded at her.

We raced down the hill of the prison, and outside.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

We pulled up to a small daycare instead of the shopping center, and I got off the back of the motorcycle.

"Company's close. Stay tight." Daryl said, turning off the engine.

I pulled on the fence gate, and Daryl took lead.

We made our way through the abandoned playground in front of the daycare, and I looked through the window.

"Gimme your gun real quick," I said, and he handed it over. I used the heel of the gun to smash through the window and climbed in.

Toys that were on the shelf I stood on, fell with a loud drop, and I stepped on the glass on the floor.

I glanced around the room to see empty cribs, and toys that were thrown around the room.

On the wall, there were a bunch of hands that were colored in with names written in the middle.

I walked around the room looking for anything useful, before kneeling on the ground in front of a cabinet.

I threw bottles, diapers, and anything that would be useful for the baby.

I stood from my knelt position, and Daryl climbed through the window too.