✥Five✥

Genesis' View

Sierra and Kaden walked over to me as I was getting my gun and knife ready on my thigh.

"Promise me you'll make it back alive?" Sierra looked up at her.

"Hey, you wanna do me a favor?" I crouched down to her. She nodded. "Good. Can you keep this jacket warm for me for when I get back?" I shrugged off the army jacket that had my last name patched into the chest.

"Really?" Sierra smiled, and I helped her put it on. It was obvious that it did not fit her.

"Yeah. Try not to get it too dirty. Alright?" I smiled, and she nodded.

I stood up and grabbed my hat off of the hood of my truck. I placed it on top of my head and watched as Sierra ran to her mother.

"You didn't have to do that, you know," Kaden said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I know. But, I saw her shivering at the fire last night, and it's bound to be cold tonight too, so I'll let her stay warm." I explained.

"Won't you be cold though?" Kaden worried.

"I'll be fine. I've trained my body to be up against the hottest and coldest weather." I said and started walking towards the box truck.

"Hey, be safe. Alright?" Kaden worried, and I nodded.

Rick had just grabbed the bolt cutters from Dale when Daryl blew the horn with his foot.

"Rick, you have any rounds in the python?" Shane asked, walking up to the truck.

"No."

"Last time we were on the gun range, I'm sure I wound up with a few losses rounds of yours." The two boys smiled.

"You and that bag. Like the bottom of an old lady's purse." Rick joked.

"I hate that you're doing this. Both of you." Shane glanced between rick and me. "I think that it's foolish and reckless. But if you're gonna go, you're taking bullets." Shane argued.

"I'm not sure I'd want to fire a shot in the city. Not after what happened last time." Rick explained.

"That's up to you." Shane held out five bullets in his hand. "Well, five people, five rounds. What are the odds, huh?"

"Let's just hope that five is someone's lucky number." I chimed in from the truck.

We started to drive away, and just like the first run, it was silent.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

We pulled up on the outskirts of the city on the tracks, and Glenn shut the truck off.

"He'd better be okay. It's my only word on the matter." Daryl spoke.

"I told you the geeks can't get at him. The only thing that's getting through that door is us."

"We walk from here." Glenn glanced at everyone. We all got out and started making our way into the city.

Kaden's View

I watched as Sierra cuddled into Gen's jacket, as I was helping Dale keep watch on the RV.

"Have either of you seen Carl?" Lori walked over to us with wood in her hands.

"He was seen with Shane, and they went down to the quarry. Something about catching frogs." I answered. Lori nodded and walked away.

"She doesn't seem happy," Dale muttered to me, and I nodded.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" I looked at him, and he nodded. "What do you know about Gen?"

"Not much. She keeps to herself a lot. But I know that she knew Shane, and Lori, and Carl since before the end of the world. I know she was in the army." Dale explained.

"She seems attached to Shane," I explained. "Do you think the two of them are sleeping with each other?" I whispered.

"Okay, son. I wouldn't go putting that into your head. I overheard them talking, and it doesn't seem like they're sleeping together. They call each other their siblings, for God's sake." Dale turned down.

"Right, right."

"Where is this even coming from?" Dale questioned.

"Well..." I started.

"Don't tell me you fell for her already." Dale sighed, as I looked down.

"I know, it's bad. Falling for someone especially during the end of the world. I just couldn't help it. She's just so badass, and she cares for these people." I explained.

"Then maybe you should talk to her when she gets back," Dale suggested, and I nodded.

"But how would I even bring this up in conversation?"

"In whatever way feels right. Don't rush into it, and don't get mad if she doesn't feel the same way about you." Dale explained.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Genesis' View

We jogged along the railroad tracks that were going into the city, and we climbed through a cut-open fence.

"Merle first or guns?" Rick questioned.

"Merle! We ain't even having this conversation." Daryl answered.

"We are. You know the geography. It's your call." Rick spoke to Glenn.

"Merle's closest. The guns would mean doubling back." Glenn thought. "Merle first."

We made our way slowly through the store, making sure no geeks were near.

As a geek walked by, Rick has told Daryl to take care of it.

"Damn, you are one ugly skank," Daryl muttered, before sending an arrow through its forehead.

We made our way up the stairs, to see the chain and padlock still intact.

T-Dog cuts it open with the bolt cutter, and we rush onto the roof.

Merle wasn't there.

But his hand was.

The son of a bitch used Dale's saw to cut his hand off to get out of the cuffs.

"No! No! Merle!" Daryl cried.

The blood was semi-dried, so he had dipped probably soon after the group had left.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Kaden's View

Shane had walked back into camp with damp clothes and bloody knuckles.

Minutes before, Lori and Carl had walked up, and gone into their tent.

Sierra was now taking a nap, while Dad was out in the woods. Mom was down with the other women helping wash the clothes for when Gen and the rest of the group gets back.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━
From: Season 1 Episode 3: Tell it to the frogs (Pt. 3)

Words: 1013