✥Twenty-Seven✥

Genesis' View

Rick and I waited for Glenn, and then he hopped in the back, letting me sit in the front.

"Maggie said she loves me." Glenn broke the silence from the back seat.

Rick looked back at him with a simple nod and a small smile crossed my face.

"She doesn't mean it. I mean, she can't. She's upset or confused." Glenn made excuses.

"I think she's smart enough to know what she's feeling," Rick said.

"No. No." Glenn denied. "She wants to be in love, so she, she needs something to, to like, to hold onto."

"Glenn, it's pretty obvious to everyone Maggie loves you, and not because you're one of the last men standing." I glanced back at him, and Rick agreed.

"What's the problem?"

"I didn't say it back," Glenn announced. "I've never had a woman say that to me before except my mom, of course, and my sisters. But with Maggie, it's different. We barely know each other. What does she really know about me? Nothing. We're practically strangers."

"She knows that you would put your life on the line to get down a well to rope a geek," I said. "You protect this group, Glenn. Just like all of us. But you use your brain for strategic planning. Some of us just go guns blazing hoping to hit something." I said.

"I know, but I just stood there like a jerk."

"Hey, we don't get a lot of those these days. Enjoy it. And when we get back, return the favor. It's not like she's going anywhere." Rick said.

"Rick." Glenn stopped him. "Gen and I both know about Lori being pregnant. I got her those pills."

"I figured." He looked at us, and then we all got out.

"I'm sorry I kept it from you," Glenn said.

"Don't be. You did what you thought was right. It just so happens it wasn't."

We made it to the bar, and we went in with our guns held.

"Hershel," Rick spoke, and his voice echoed through the room.

"Whos with you?" He asked, not turning his back.

"Glenn. And Gen," Rick said.

"Did Maggie send him?" Hershel referred to Glenn.

"He volunteered. He's good like that. And I asked Gen to come with us." Rick said. He walked closer to him, while we stayed back. "How many have you had?" He looked at the bottle on the bar top.

"Not enough."

Rick nodded at me, and I walked closer to him.

"Hey, Hershel. Beth collapsed. Catatonic shock. She was burning up and hadn't said a word to any of us." I told him.

"Maggie's with her?" He asked me.

"Yes. But Beth needs you. She needs her dad." I answered.

"What could I do? She needs her mother. Or rather to mourn. Like she should've done weeks ago. I robbed her of that. I see that now."

"You thought there was a cure. Can't blame yourself for holding out for hope." Rick said.

"Hope? When I first saw you running across my field with your boy in your arms, I had little hope he would survive." Hershel said.

"But he did."

"He did. Even though we lost Otis. Your man Shane made it back and we saved your boy. That was the miracle that probed to me miracles do exist. Only it was a sham, a bait, and switch." Hershel sighed. "I was a fool, Rick, and you people saw that. My daughters deserve better than that." He took another drink of his alcohol.