✥Nine✥

Genesis' View

Daryl and I loaded the bodies into the back of his truck, and he drove them up.

Everyone else walked up, and Sierra held my hand up to the gravesites.

"These people need to know who the hells in charge here, and what the rules are." Daryl finished his sentence.

"There are no rules," Rick said.

"Well, that's a problem. We haven't had one minute to hold onto anything of our old selves. We need time to mourn, and we need to bury our dead." Lori explained. "It's what people do."

As we started to bury them, Andrea struggled to carry her sister to her grave. Dale tried to help her, but she refused.

Sierra let out a muffled sob into my side, and I rubbed her head.

After the burying, we all went back to the camp, and Dale walked over to me.

"So you think Shane's idea of Fort Benning is good?"

"Dale, I didn't say that. But the CDC could've been the first place that was taken down. Not by geeks, but by other people." I answered.

"So say Shane agrees to go to the CDC. Will you?" Dale questioned.

"Of course I will. Just like in the army; I'm given an order, and I will follow it. No matter how stupid the order is." I looked up at him. Dale nodded and then went to join the others.

Kaden walked over and stood next to me.

"Do you blame the five of us for not being here?" I asked. "Ya know, me, Rick, Daryl, T-Dog, and Glenn?"

"No. But it's not my call to blame. But, you have to stop and take a few minutes to yourself. The guys can handle the group. Worry about yourself." Kaden explained.

"No, I made a promise to them. That I would help keep them safe. And I plan on sticking to it." Is answered.

"But you're becoming tired. I can see it." Kaden worried.

"You aren't supposed to be worried about me. So don't be." I said, and we walked over to where the group is.

Shane walked over to me and pulled me away.

"I need your help. Talking to rick about the CDC." Shane said.

"Shane, do you know why I became a soldier in the military? Because I was better at following orders than giving them." I said. "You two are pretty much the leaders of this camp. I'm just the right-hand man. Whatever plan you two agree on, I'll follow through with it."

"But you know what could be at the CDC," Shane said.

"But I also know what could be at Fort Benning," I said, and walked back to the group.

Shane, Rick, and Lori were having a conversation by the door, and then Rick walked up to me.

"Please, Gen, I need you to have my back on this." Rick pleaded.

I stayed silent for a minute, before looking up at him, "I got your back."

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

"I've been thinking about Rick's plan. Now look, there are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that." Shane looked at the group. "I've known this man for a long time. I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together. So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning." Shane announced.

We split into our small groups for everyone to get packed, and then to get some sleep.

"Can I ride with you in your truck?" Sierra questioned, grabbing onto my hand as we made our way to her tent.