Part 36

"Hey." Stevie whispered in Lindsey's ear as she wrapped her arms around his neck from behind. 

"Hey." Lindsey smiled, taking her hand, he pressed a kiss to her palm. "Is Aimee asleep?"

"Yeah." Stevie nodded and walked around the couch to sit down next to him. "I'm pretty sure she tired herself out, lots to explore in new surroundings." 

"Won't she get scared if she wakes up and you're not there?" Lindsey asked, opening his arm for Stevie to cuddle up against his side. 

"I don't think that she'll wake up, but I left the bedside lamp on and the door slightly ajar. My hearing's got ten times better, since she was born, too." Stevie chuckled lightly and tilted her chin up to look at Lindsey. "You're so good with her."

"She's a good kid." Lindsey shrugged, bringing his hand up to carry the side of her face. "You two look a lot alike."

"That's what everyone says." Stevie nodded. "This is nice." She said and rested her head on his chest. 

"It is." He agreed, too nice. "Would you like a drink? I don't have a lot to choose from, though."

"Uh, actually, no. Not really." She declined and shifted her gaze over to the TV and whatever Lindsey was watching. "If you have some chamomile tea, though..."

"I highly doubt that, but I'll check." Lindsey pressed a kiss to her hair and slipped out from under her. 

While she waited, Stevie stretched out her legs and turned to lie on her side. She grabbed a blanket from the other end of the couch and pulled it up to her neck. She didn't want to think, but there was a lot going through her mind. She was enjoying being with Lindsey a tad too much. Every little thing he did, made her heart ache a tiny bit more. They could have had it. Together. She wouldn't have to come over for the weekend, hoping that her boyfriend wasn't going to find out. She could cuddle with Lindsey on the couch at the end of every day, while their daughter slept upstairs if only they had tried harder. But they didn't. It wasn't their reality. All they could share now were just stolen moments of happiness, without the possibility of knowing, how soon it was going to end.

"It's not chamomile, but it's tea." Lindsey's voice brought her back to the present as she watched him set the steaming hot cup on the small table in front of them.

"It's fine." Stevie assured and made a move to free up some space for him.

"No, don't." He stopped her. He lifted her feet up and sat down, placing them down in his lap. "What?"

"What?" Stevie echoed, her eyebrows slightly creased. 

"You're staring." He pointed out as his fingers began gently kneading her calves. 

"Oh, uh..." She didn't realize. "It's nothing" She said and looked away, swallowing the lump in her throat.