Part 38

They moved from the couch to Lindsey's bedroom eventually. Stevie stayed for a long while, but she did have to get up and leave at some point. She didn't truly want to move out of his embrace nor did he wanted to let her, but she had to. Surprisingly, Stevie drifted off quickly, when she went to her assigned room, where Aimee had been asleep for hours by the time. Lindsey, on the other hand, stayed awake, his mind racing. 

I love you.

Those three simple words. She told him, she loved him. Did it just slip out or did she mean, what she said? Maybe he was reading too much into it, maybe she loved him, like one does an old friend. No. No, she told him, after... Realizing he wasn't going to get anywhere, Lindsey turned on his side and shut his eyes in hopes to get some much needed rest.

The morning came quickly. Stevie was woken up by her daughter, sitting up, trying to braid her own hair. A lazy smile spread across her face. She loved her child more than anything in the entire world, but sometimes, very rarely, she allowed herself to fantasize what Aimee would have looked like with blue eyes and curly hair. The thought of Lindsey popped into her head next as she wondered if he was still in bed or already up and about. 

"I'm hungwy, mamma." Aimee announced, forgetting about fixing her hair. 

"Oh, you are?" Stevie asked, tickling the girl's belly, making her giggle. "What would you like to eat?"

While Aimee thought about breakfast, Stevie got up to search for her robe she'd brought with her. She then dressed Aimee up as well and walked out of the room, when it was decided that they were going to have pancakes. Glancing at Lindsey's bedroom door, Stevie noticed that it was still closed.

Making sure that Aimee was safely seated at the kitchen table, Stevie rolled up her sleeves and started looking for anything she could add to the pancake batter. She had barely got to working, when she felt Lindsey's presence behind her, he didn't even have to say anything. 

"Good morning." Lindsey, seemingly still half asleep greeted his two guests. 

"Good morning." Stevie smiled, looking at him over her shoulder. 

If Stevie was making breakfast, the least Lindsey could do was have coffee ready for them. Mugs were in the cupboard closest to Stevie and he used that to his advantage. Checking first that an extra pair of eyes wasn't on the two of them, he placed his hand on the small of her back and leaned in to whisper.

"I love you, too."