Part 19

"Would you be able to stop yourself at just a kiss?" Stevie replied with a question, one eyebrow slightly raised. 

"I don't want to play this stupid game anymore." Lindsey shook his head and reached behind to take her hand, which was resting at the nape of his neck.

"I'm not playing." She shrugged, trying to act cool, while actually her heartbeat had picked up pace at just the thought of him kissing her. "I should have answered your question, I should have said, yes, but I haven't. I need to know if you can kiss me and back off."

Lindsey was intrigued. She was supposed to say, no, she was supposed to love the other man she had chosen. While at first he thought, she had all the power in this situation, he quickly realized that in fact she did not. "We could find out."

"Nu-uh." Stevie disagreed, pulling her hand away from his touch. "That's not good enough."

"Are you saying that you want me to kiss you?" He cocked his head to one side, she shifted her gaze and focused on spinning a ring on her finger. 

"I didn't say that." She argued weakly, but she wasn't fooling him. Or herself. 

"Have you forgotten about Kyle all of a sudden?" He wasn't entirely sure, why he was reminding her of Kyle right now. 

"Have you forgotten about the fact I'm in a relationship, when you invited me over to play a fucking drinking game and talk about our feelings?" Surprisingly, she didn't sound mad. She just wanted him to admit that his intentions weren't so innocent. 

"I wasn't planning on our evening together to go in this particular direction." Lindsey said, having chosen his words carefully. 

"And what direction is that? Is it realizing that we're still attracted to each other, that we still have feelings for each other?" Stevie scoffed, folding her arms over her chest. "I didn't need-" She paused and showed around them with her hand. "This to know that."

"If you knew that already, why on earth did you get back together with Kyle?" Lindsey wasn't sure if he was pushing his luck, but he wanted for it to make sense, because in his mind it didn't. "Was it you, running away from me as you always do?"

"What did you expect? Did you honestly believe that you were going to reappear and things were going to be great between us again? That I'm going to just forget about everything that's happened during the past several years and we, you and I, are going to fall madly in love with each other?" She couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Please."

"But you do have feelings for me." Lindsey pointed out and heard her sigh. 

"Even if so, it's wrong." Stevie shrugged, running a hand through her hair. She combed it to the back with her fingers exposing her neck. He was staring, he knew, so did she. "As much as we're right for each other, we're just as wrong."

"How can this feel so right if it's not?" Lindsey asked, without having done anything yet.

"What can?" She frowned, but he didn't answer.

Instead, he scooted over closer to her. He brought his hand up and softly touched the side of her face. His eyes didn't wander as they stayed on hers and she parted her lips slightly, anticipating his next move. Slowly, he leaned in until their noses were almost touching. Turning his head to the left, he tilted his chin up and their lips were a mere millimeter apart. He felt her warm breath and he tried to remind himself that he was only meant to tease her. He didn't want to actually kiss her. Well, he did, but he wanted her to be the first one to give in. 

"I don't know if I can stop at just a kiss." He said, before his fingers tangled in her hair and he captured her lips.