Part 42

"Say something?" Stevie spoke up after a lengthy moment of silence. "Please?" She asked again as she watched Kyle, who stood, staring out the window into the night.

"What do you want me to say?" Kyle responded at last, but he didn't turn to face her.

"I don't know, anything. Anything is better than silence." Stevie added, hugging her knees to her chest. "Yell at me, throw stuff around, please, just do something."

Breathing out heavily, Kyle glanced at her, before he shifted his focus elsewhere again. "You know, I felt it in my heart that something was wrong. I didn't want to believe it, but I think, I already knew. I guess, I'd started dealing with this before you told me. So, I'm not angry, I'm just..." He shrugged, clearing his throat to speak again. "I'm just sad."

"I'm sorry." She said, knowing it wasn't going to help. "I do love you, Kyle. I have so much love in my heart for you."

He scoffed, looking over at her for longer than a mere second this time. "Doesn't really seem like it, does it."

"It's just... if Lindsey hadn't come back into my life..." She silenced herself and cast her eyes down. "I know that you could make me happy." She echoed his words from earlier. "But... I don't think, you're the person I want to make me happy."

"Did you already know that, when we got back together?" Kyle asked, walking over to the bed, he slumped down heavily. "Or were there doubts before that happened?"

"I didn't have doubts, when we started spending time together again." Stevie shook her head, seemingly only just now realizing, how badly she'd hurt the man in front of her. "I wanted to give us another try, honestly."

"So, when did you start having second thoughts?" He leaned forward, head in his hands. 

"The first time Lindsey and I came face to face again." She admitted, swallowing uneasily. 

"Why the hell did you drag me back into this then? Why give me false hope?" Kyle began to sound frustrated and he had every right to be. 

"Because I believed that I had moved on from Lindsey. I thought, he and I could just be friends this time." She owed him the whole truth. "When I felt that he and I were getting close again, I got scared. Given our history, things never go our way. I didn't want to get involved and get my heart broken again."

"So, instead, you chose to break mine." Kyle said and she grew quite for a while. 

"I thought that if you and I were official again, Lindsey would understand and step back." Stevie knew, she couldn't put all of the blame on Lindsey. "That being committed to you again would make me take a step back."

"Are you in love with him?" Kyle asked, locking eyes with Stevie. "Be honest with me."

"I don't know." Stevie shook her head. "Really. I know, I have feelings for him, but..."

They both went silent after that. A lot was going through Kyle's mind and Stevie desperately wanted to know what he was thinking. She knew, she was in the wrong. She hurt him. Once again, she blew the chance of being happy with a man, who loved her. Truly. Who was ready to marry her tomorrow, who would do absolutely anything for her to make her stay. 

Taking a deep breath, Kyle ran a hand over his face and turned his head towards Stevie. "So, where does this leave us?"