Part 41

"So, how was your trip?" Stevie asked as she joined Kyle in bed later the same night. 

"Fine." Kyle replied, his lips barely moving. He had no intention of talking to her as he scribbled something down in his daily planner.

"That's it? Fine?" She repeated, tucking her feet under the covers, while still rubbing moisturizer into her hands. "You're usually more excited to talk to me about your work."

"Can't you see that I'm busy?" He snapped at her, then turned his back to her. 

Okay, maybe everything is not alright. "Hey..." She tried again, wrapping her fingers around his bicep as she pressed herself against him.

"Stevie-" Kyle stopped himself and took a deep breath. "Please."

"What the hell is your problem?" She snapped back, pulling away. "If you've got something on your mind, say it!" 

For a short moment, the only sound in the room was his heavy, steady breathing. Putting away his planner, Kyle turned around to face her. "I wasn't going to do this today, but you've asked for it." Stevie frowned, unsure of what he meant by that. "I've been trying to pretend that things are fine between us, which they are clearly not."

"They ar-"

"No." He held up a hand. "No. I keep justifying your actions, I keep telling myself to just trust you. You know what? I don't." 

"What are you..." Stevie trailed off, she gulped. 

"It's not okay for you to spend so much time with another man." Kyle shook his head. "Especially not with Lindsey. It's not okay for you to be sleeping over at his place, while I'm away. It's not okay for you to be having so many late nights discussing the tour." He said, using air quotes. "Whatever the hell that means. Stevie, you've made a choice. I'm your choice. You were the one, who wanted to give us another chance. What happened? I feel like an idiot to be completely honest with you." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Here I am, thinking that we've found our way back to each other, that things are going to be much better, that you and I have a future together. I don't believe you're thinking the same." Kyle shrugged, shaking his head. "Was I the safe choice?"

"I chose you." Stevie gave a weak shrug of her shoulders too. 

"That doesn't answer my question." Kyle pointed out. "Are you holding onto me in case things don't go the way you want them to with Lindsey? Am I your plan B?"

"I'm not with Lindsey." Stevie emphasized. "I'm here with you, aren't I?"

"That's the thing. We're just..." Kyle cocked his head back, then turned to look at her. "We're living in the same house, under one roof, but I fear that's as much as you're ever going to give me."

"I'm... what..." She didn't expect the conversation to take such a turn.

"Is there a future for us? As a couple?" So many questions she couldn't answer. "If your having doubts, please, just tell me, be honest with me." An almost pleading look in his eyes. "I could make you happy if only you let me." He added, while she stayed silent, he took her hand in his. "I love you."

"I-" Stevie began and paused yet again. "I slept with Lindsey last night. It wasn't the first time." She managed at last and felt Kyle withdrawing his hand.