Chapter 8- Maxwell gets a job!

CHAPTER 8

               My first one week at school was hectic and demanding but it was fun. I made loads of friends but my best still remained Maxwell. We eat lunch together and mostly in the company of Melissa and Brian. We were the ‘fantastic four’!

The following week, we had a party for the freshers and we attended it. People got drunk and did crazy things which made the party a bit nauseating to me but the others thought it was what made it interesting. I told Maxwell about Ed but didn’t tell him he disappeared. I only told him he broke up with me and that they were similar in some ways. We got pretty close and he told me about how he lost his dad to an auto crash.

“...because the boy’s parent had money, they won the case and I hated all rich people for a while but with time I realised there were still some that are modest, like you.” He said with a sad smile. I felt really sad for him but stopped feeling sad when he told me he didn’t like people looking at him with pity.

**            *****                ***                              ****                             ***

               “What’s up?” I said as I walked to him in the library, he was drawing but I couldn’t see what it was.

“Hey! Just drawing some house designs and plans.” He said looking up at me and I sat down beside him. I looked at it and I couldn’t help but take a second, third look. No, I was practically staring.

“These are beautiful and classic. How did you get to think of these?” I said still surprised. Dad could make use of him, I thought. Maybe I could help Max get a job in dad’s company.

“I just get a pencil and paper and the designs pop out from nowhere.” He said. One of the houses was the 80’s Victorian home styles but in a modern and more classic look.

“I have a deal for you already.” I said.

“Hhmmn, what kind of deal is that?” I scrolled down my phonebook for dad’s number; I was so excited I forgot his number.

“How about you design houses for my dad’s architectural company?” I said looking at him. I’d gotten dad’s number and was waiting for his response.

                  “Are you kidding? God! I’d love that. Wait, are you serious?” he couldn’t contain his excitement and people were looking at us with an if-you-don’t-wanna-read-get-out look. I put a hand over his mouth.

“You’re raising your voice.” I said and removed it. I snapped the pictures with my camera and sent them to dad, in about a minute he called back.

“Hello dad. Did you see the pictures I sent?”

“Yes I did and where on earth did you get them from?”

“A friend of mine who’s studying architecture.” I could sense the excitement in dad’s voice.

“How about I employ him?” dad asked.

“That’s exactly why I sent those to you. I want you to employ him, dad and he’s agreed to work with you. Make sure you pay him a senior salary. That’s what I want as my birthday gift. He’s my best male friend.” I said. Maxwell looked on enthusiastically and I winked at him.

“I will and when does he wants to resume?” I clamped a hand on the mouthpiece and looked at Maxwell.

             “When do you want to start?” I whispered.

“Anytime he says but I can’t leave school.” Max replied. I removed my hand from the mouthpiece and talked to dad.

“He said he’d start anytime you say but you know he can’t leave school yet.” I told dad.

“Yes I know, he’d be sending the designs and he’d be paid every month. Tell him to send his account and phone number. He’s started work already. I have to go now, there’s a meeting I have to attend.” Dad said.

“Alright sir, thank you.” I hung up and gave max a thumbs up.

             “You’ve started work already and he wants you to send your phone and account number. He’s gone for a meeting now so send it later in the day. He’d also be paying you monthly.” I said smiling at him. We were both happy.

“Oh, thank you, Fi. You’re the best.” He said almost in tears. I knew how much he needed a job; his family deserved a good and comfortable life.

“Shush! Let’s go celebrate.” We left the library and went to the cafeteria. I called Melissa and Brian to join us there.

“This is to Maxwell and wishing him success in life. To your new job.” I said making a toast.

“To your new job.” They chorused and the clinking of glass followed. We drank and ate to the fullest and Melissa said she felt twice her weight. We all laughed. All through, Maxwell was silently thanking me with his eyes. I felt so happy I could help and was glad he’d be able to get anything he wants for his self and his mum.

Hey! I’m the best, right? I gave you guys’ two chapters again. I’ve finished writing the story, all I need to do is type and save it on my system and then upload it one by one for you to read. Thanks for reading. VOMMENT...................