Chapter 9- Mum's apology.

CHAPTER 9

           It was April 7th, 2007, my birthday. I woke up at the sound of my phone and before I could switch on the lights about seven messages had been delivered. I grabbed my phone and read the messages, from Evans, Florence, Maxwell, Melissa, Brian, dad and mum. I smiled and d looked at myself in the mirror, I was 19 already.

My phone rang and it was a call from Alex. I picked it and after he asked about my well being and wished me a happy birthday, he hung up. Some of my classmates in high school also sent me messages. Pretty soon it was morning and I got only a little sleep since I was woken up. I got dressed and ready to go to school. I had economics at 9am.

            As soon as I entered the class, a happy birthday chorus greeted me. I was surprised but was happy at the same time. When the economic lecturer came in, the first thing he did was wish me a happy birthday. I thought these things were meant for high school but hey I was popular already. I’m always popular everywhere I go. I had economics and accounting for the day and I waited for the other three, to join me at the cafeteria.

“So how’s the birthday girl?” Brian said as they got to the table I’d reserved for us.

“I’m fine; I’ve had a wonderful day so far.” I said as they took their seats.

“There’s a party for you at my house, tonight, 8pm. don’t miss it cos I planned it for you.” Melissa said. Oh cool, I got myself a surprise birthday bash.

            “Happy birthday! And this is for you.” Maxwell said and he pushed a wrapped gift towards me. I opened it and brought out a pair of black and yellow halter top (Yes I love halter tops) we’d both seen on our way to the grocery store. I’d told him I loved it but will go back to get it, two days after when I remembered, I went to the shop but was told it had been sold.

“Maxwell! Thank you so much. I didn’t think it would be you that’d have bought it. When I told you it had been sold you feigned innocence. Naughty boy! Thank you all the same.” He laughed and told the others about how we got to see the top and they all agreed he did a wonderful thing.

         “Your presents are at my house, mine and Brian’s. You get it when you come for the party.” Melissa said, I smiled and assured them I’d be there. We ate and headed out to the car park. Maxwell had gotten a black Toyota Yaris as his work resumption gift and to him; he still hasn’t thanked me enough. We celebrated it for about four days.

         We got into our rides and went home. When I got home it was already 4pm and a wrapped gift was lying on the porch. ‘With love from mum’ it read and I opened it once I got inside. Inside it was mum’s favourite jewellery box that I’d always wanted. It was painted in gold and had glitters sprayed on it. In it was a pink pearl necklace and earring. How could they have left something this expensive lying on the porch where anyone could have picked it? Obviously whoever mum sent didn’t know what was inside or was too dumb to know he should have come back to drop it when someone’s home or better still drop it with the neighbours. When I lifted the jewellery box, a note was underneath.

Happy birthday, darling and this is wishing you all the best in life. I know you’re not expecting a gift from me because of what happened between us the last time we were together. I’m sorry I bad mouthed him and I regret not welcoming him and everything I did to him. I understand that you love him and you’ve proved it to me. I want to assure you that if he ever comes back to you, I’d welcome him whole heartedly, I promise. I’ve wanted to apologise but I felt really ashamed of myself, please forgive your mother. I’m so sorry and remember that I love you as my daughter and will always do.