Chapter 44

EMILY

"I've found my prince, Jane."
I sit up in the bed, my legs hanging over the edge.

My heads telling me that I've made the wrong decision. That I'm only 18 and don't know what I am doing.
But my heart is telling me that I've made the best decision.
That Brad's my future and he loves me. My hearts telling me that this is what I should do.

My hands feel clammy and sweaty.
Everyone says to listen to your heart.

Jane turns on the bedside lamp behind me.
A tear drops from my eye and onto my leg, I wipe it away quickly.

"From what I figure, the only people that know are Brad, Tris, James, Connor, you and I." I speak, spinning around on the bed, crossing my legs.

She smiles up at me, placing the ring between the 2 of us on the bed sheet.
"Loz doesn't?" She wonders.
I quickly shake my head.

"No, she doesn't and for now I don't want her to." Jane nods her head, closing her lips, pretending to zip them up, lock em' and pass me the key.
I laugh at her little role play.

"When did he..."

"Ask?" I finish for her. She nods.

"Around this time last night." I grin, remembering how he asked.

"Okay, tell me! Spill. How'd he do it." She gushes.

So I tell her how we were teaching movies and when everyone else falls asleep we play a game.

"So out of no where he said that?" I nod my head really happy.

"And then he asked?" I shake my head no.

"Then he continues, a little- wait no. It was quite long." I giggle, shying up.

"What'd he say!?"
I tell her the little cute things he said in his long speech.

"Then he told me this; "The best decision I have ever made in my life was the day I entered the cafe and asked the beautiful young lady behind the till for a frappe. The second best decision was when I asked that beautiful young lady to join me at the table.
The smile you gave me when we were in that cab that night was one I wanted to see everyday for a very very long time. For the past year and a half I thought I would never have you in my arms again. I thought you were just a fading memory.
When I walked into the living room that day months ago, I didn't expect to see you there.
I was ready to get on my knees and beg you to stay forever and never leave me again but at the same time I wanted to run. Run far away and never come back because I was afraid. Afraid that if I talk with you and touch you, I'd get too attached when it's too late.
I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night."

Jane awwws and tells me to continue, excited to hear the end.

"And then he said; I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
If I want to share the rest of my life with you, I've got to ask you now.

Marry me Emily Olivia Greene."

"How'd you react?" She asks, jaw dropped.

I sheepishly smile, looking away.