Chapter 58

EMILY

"Brad!" I cry out when he drops the tomatoes.

"I'm sorry, baby!" He apologises, scurrying to pick them up in a hurry. Honestly, I didn't mind because i absolutely hate the fruit/vegetable.

"It's all goods!" I chirp, mixing the potato salad. I leave that for a second and check the oven, the chips nearly cooked.

That means tea will be ready very soon. We called Natalie, Derek and Anne-Marie about two hours ago asking them to join us for tonight. We want them to be there with us when we tell them.

Brad places the tomatoes on the bench, looking at me. I fully face him, giving him a weird look.

He laughs, pulling his phone out and tapping the screen a few times. A calming and nice but unfamiliar tune plays through his phone speaker.

"What songs this?" I ask, tapping my finger nails on the marble counter.

He closes the 3 metre gap, wrapping one arm around my waist and his other hand holding mine.

Getting the jist of where this is heading, I clutch onto his hand and place my other hand on his shoulder. We move to the tune of the song.

"Wasn't Expecting that by James Lawson." Brad tells me. I rest my head on his shoulder.

I smile, listening the the lyrics echo through the whole room.

"It's nice." I whisper, smiling.

"Do you know what this makes me think of?" I say after a few moments of silence.

"What?" Brad asks.

"It reminds me of where a couple is married, they've had a long day at work and taking care of their children and once the kids are put to bed, it's their chance the spend time alone and relax together." Brad rubs his hand on the skin of my waist.

"We're half way there already." Brad chuckles, pulling me the slightest bit closer.

"Yeah, I guess we are." I sigh, relaxing at his touch. The music stops and we keep swaying loving the feel of being in each others arms.

"You better start the steak." I whisper, reminding him. He curses, pulling away.

"I would've rathered to stay like that." He pouts, placing the steaks onto the stove.

"I know, I would've too."

***

I spoon the last part of potato salad onto the white plate, Brad taking it almost instantly and setting it on the table.

We'd actually succeeded with a nice looking meal. Brad grins at me, kissing my cheek.

"Team work." I raise my hand for a high five, Brad slaps my hand keeping his hand there and entwining our fingers together. We drop our hand, Brad leading me towards the kitchen door where it leads out into the lounge room.

"Food!" He calls. I pull him back, pulling him into my body. He presses me tight against his chest, raising my tee shirt a little and rubbing the skin of my stomach.

"I'd rather eat my food then throw it up, thanks." James' voice jokingly speaks. I roll my eyes, stepping away and joining everybody at the table.

We do have quite a big table to fit 14 and there's 12 here. I look down at my plate, the corner piece of paper hidden under the plate. I slide it out as everyone talks amongst themselves.

I look over at Brad that sits opposite me. I smile at him, looking down at the paper. In neat hand writing it reads,

'I love you,