Chapter 12: First Day Gone

This chapter begins on Monday.

*Mark's p.o.v*

I creep into the bedroom quietly and see Jenna sleeping peacefully. At 6 in the morning, I can only imagine how she's going to act when I wake her up.

I walk to the side of the bed and shake her lightly. When I get no response from her, I shake her a bit harder. She shifts a bit but she's still sleeping. Dam... I don't want to wake her up, I feel so bad.

I shake her a lot harder while saying loudly- "JENNA!"

She lifts her head up with her eyes still closed and says- "What is it." I chuckle a bit because she looks very funny.

"TIME FOR SCHOOL!" I shout to her.

She drops her head back down on her pillow and groans loudly. "Come on sleepy pants, you need your education and to see your friends and to go in the outside world." I say as cheerfully as I can.

"I'd rather stay here and hibernate forever." She says.

I pull at her arms and try to hold her up as I get her in the sitting up position. She supports none of her weight and is leaning on me.

"Someone has morning breath." I say trying to spite her. She leans back and covers her mouth while saying- "Do I really? Oh gosh, I'm going to go brush my teeth."

"Take clothes in there with you so you can get changed and... HEAD OFF TO SCHOOL!" I say hoping to encourage her. She nods and slowly gets up from the bed. I lay myself down on it on my back and close my eyes.

I miss the feeling of this bed so much. Sleeping on that couch has really done a number on my back and neck. I start to doze off but I try really hard not to. I blink but couldn't help to open them again. I doze off lightly.

...

I was awoken by a pillow to the face which startled me greatly because I jump up fast. I look around until my eyes meet with Jenna's. Her chocolate brown eyes that now has eyeliner done so perfectly right above it.

"I have to go. It's 7:10 and I don't know how long it takes by bus from here." She says.

"I can drive you." I suggest. She hesitates for a moment then says- "Really?"

"For you of course, plus I want you on time. Just give me like 10 minutes and I'll be ready. Hang tight." I say. She plops herself on the couch as I head for the bathroom.

...

I unlock my car and she runs to the door to open it. "Calm down you're not going to be late." I say. "You don't know that." She says back.

At the same time we get in the car and shut the door. Before I start the car, a thought runs past me.

Ivan

"Jenna... are you going to see Ivan?" I ask. She shifts uncomfortably in her seat and rubs her finger nails on her dark blue jeans.

"I um... have to... he's in two of my classes and... I see him in the hallways every now and then." She says. Immediately I say- "But you haven't talked to him all week, won't he be mad?"

"Mark..." She puts her hand on my thigh. "I'll be okay if you're worried about him hurting me. Are you picking me up afterschool?" She says.

"Yeah, yeah of course." I say.

...

I stop the car on the side of her school and observe it. It looks so big. My high school wasn't even this big. Is there really that many kids now?