=prologue.ONE=

The trilling of a harp plays in Alina's ears as she enters the restaurant. The grandiose light fixtures draw her attention as she walks to the host's podium.

Dressed in a baby blue saying dress with the back out, she draws attention to herself unintentionally. Her thin strapped heels make make soft tapping noises against the thinly carpeted floor with each step that she takes.

Her head of curls is parted down the middle and sleeked into a ponytail. He hair waved from the gel so it isn't exactly 'sleek' but it still looks good. It suits the ponytail of curls anyway.

"Welcome to the Silver Bar. My name is Triani. Do you have a reservation?"

"Uh, yes. For Gary Turner."

She holds her phone a folder tightly in her hand. The hostess reads down the list of reservations and types the name into her tablet.

"Oh, found it. Right this way, please." The woman leads her through the front of the restaurant. They walk by the large dining area to a smaller one. The lights are much dimmer compared to the main dining area. Instead of white to yellow lights, these ones place a more tan to brown hue on the area.

The private area makes sense given the occasion for the dinner. It's their first time meeting in person. After many weeks of texting and FaceTiming, they've both finally had the time to meet up.

The sliding doors to the private area are opened, revealing a table with menus on them. One of the two chairs at the table is occupied by the man she is set to meet. He looks up from his phone upon her arrival.

She walks to the open seat as he takes in her appears. Alina grows mildly nervous under his gaze but it's something that she will have to adapt to.

The hostess stands by the stands by the table as she takes her seat.

"Can I start you off with anything to drink?

"Perrier-Jouet, 2012, if you have it." He answers. Alina doesn't know the first thing about wine if she's being honest.

The hostess nods, writing it down.

"And for appetizers and entrées?"

Hoseok gestures to Alina, signaling for her order to be taken first. She scans the mirror and her eyes widen at the prices. She looks over the menu at him and he gives her a small smile.

"Don't worry. Get whatever you want."

She looks back at the menu, deciding on the shrimp and garlic pasta. He orders the same but with steak for the protein instead. The hostess leaves the room, stating that she'll be back with their wine shortly.

The air in the room quickly becomes warm as Alina sets the folder on the table.

"I got the papers that you requested from me. They're dated as of yesterday."

She slides it across to him and he picks it up.

"Thank you." He speaks and his voice is more sultry in person than over the phone. As he reads the papers, he licks his lips.

"I hope that you didn't take any offense to my requirements. I prefer that every precaution be taken to avoid any mishaps."

Alina shakes her head. "No, it's understandable. I would do the same thing if I were in your shoes. I took precautions of my own as well. Instead of the pill that we spoke about, I'll get the shot from now on."

Hoseok nods as he puts his own folder on the table. He slides it over and she picks it up.

"And that's every three months as opposed to every day?"

"Yes. It isn't something that I need to remember to take so there's no risk. My appointments to get the next one can be scheduled in advance too so that helps."

She speaks as she reads his papers. As she had hoped, he's clean. She flips to the next page and reads through it. It's the terms of their agreement that both of them have to sign. It's in very latent terms so she can't say that she didn't understand something in it.

"Everything checks out as far as medical records go. I want to talk about agreement."

Alina nods as she looks through the paper herself.

"This agreement is on a six month basis. You can terminate it any time, so can I. In exchange for your services, mine will also be provided. Whatever you want, whatever you need, just ask for it. The only thing you don't need to ask me for is the rent payment. That will be done on time every month for you."

The terms are something that they've already talked about. It's just on paper now so that neither one of them can say they were being scammed or coerced into anything. This is purely consensual. For safety reasons, I would prefer it if you weren't having unprotected sex with anybody."

"I have never not used protection. I don't play about things like that so you don't have to worry."

Hoseok nods as he takes his pen out of the inside of his suit jacket. He signs the papers, both his copy and hers before handing the pen to her. She signs as well, solidifying their agreement.

He smiles at her as the wine is brought to the table. This hostess pours their glasses and puts the bottle back in the ice bucket. She tell them that their food will be another fifteen or so minutes.

"Now we get to the fun part." He says as he holds his glass up. "I promise to be the best you'll ever have, Alina."

She puts her glass up as well.

"I'll hold you to that, Mr. Jung."

"We're not that many years apart. Just call me Hoseok."

⚠️Confidante contains mature|sensitive content including
•alcohol use•
•!sexual content!•
•protective Hoseok•
•mild violence•
•physical altercations•
•infidelity•
•!emotional|upsetting scenes!•

You are guaranteed to be upset with some|all of the characters in this book at some point.
With that being said, grab some tissues or take a breather if you need to :)

Ready

What's done in the dark always comes to the light...