=TWENTY ONE=

"Hello." Hoseok greets Alina's parents as they walk inside. Mrs. King looks from him to her daughter with a knowing gaze.

"Hello. Who's this, Alina?" Her mother says as she hugs her. She hugs her father next and they both look at her waiting for explanations, like they knew she was lying before.

"Mom, dad, this is my friend, Hoseok. Hoseok, these are my parents."

"It's nice to meet you." Hoseok holds his hand out. Mr. King shakes his hand firmly and Mrs. King shakes it gently.

"It's nice to meet you, too." She tells him.

"I'll call you later, Alina." He says as he opens the screen door.

"Okay."

She closes and locks the door before turning to her parents. They're both looking at her skeptically.

"I didn't know you guys were coming." Alina says as she walks to a recliner. She adjusts the drain tubes so they're not uncomfortable for her.

"We were bored at home and knew that Diamond wouldn't be here until later. We didn't think you had any company. I should've called before we left." Mrs. King says.

"Should have. But we didn't." Her father starts and she knows immediately where this conversation is going. "How long you been knowing him?"

"Just four months."

Her mother's mouth drops dramatically.

"You told us you weren't seeing anybody."

"Because I'm not. I didn't lie." She defends herself. "Hoseok and I are friends."

"So why you didn't tell us about him then?" Her father asks.

"I don't tell y'all about every single new friend that I make."

"You do if y'all close enough for him to be in your house." Mrs. King states. "It's okay if you have a boyfriend, honey. We're happy for you. We just want to meet him. You were a little blue before. If he's the man making sure you're happy, we just want to know, you know."

Alina looks at the floor in front of her. She can't say that Hoseok is her boyfriend because he isn't. They're just... together and right now,... that's enough for her.

"No." She shakes her head. "We're just friends." She assures, not wanting this to conversation to escalate to anything further.

"Alright. If you say so. Where the remote at so we can watch my program? It should be coming on soon."

Mrs. King reaches for the remote to turn her show on. Alina and her father watch it with her as all of their thoughts wash away. They spend most of the time watching the show until Diamond comes over. Her parents tell them good night and Diamond walks with Alina back to her room.

The to go plates that Hoseok brought have long been put into the refrigerator but the room still smells like ribs a little bit.

"Ouu, you was eating good in here. Your dad cooked?" Diamond asks as she sits on the bed.

"No." Alina says, sitting on the bed. "He brought me food. We didn't get to finish because my parents came over.

She doesn't need to clarify who 'he' is. Diamond knows that she's the only man that she won't refer to by name.

"Oop. They saw him?" Diamond asks, full of shock.