=THIRTY-SEVEN=

The Jung house is silent as the married couple sits at the table for dinner. Victoria eats her beef soup as Hoseok eats the Chipotle that he picked up on the way from work. And by picked up, he stopped at the restaurant to meet Alina there.

Hoseok has been wary of her safety with him so that was the first time they met in public since Victoria's threats. They ate a meal together, talking and laughing as they usually do. He updated her on what his lawyer's been saying about the divorce. Alina was relieved that a date has been scheduled for the first in person hearing. They've had two brief ones over the phone in the last month, making testaments and recording statements.

Victoria clears her throat as Hoseok drinks water from his glass. He raises an eyebrow but doesn't look at her.

"If you have something to say, then say it."

"The hearing is tomorrow. Are you not going to drop this?" She asks him.

"No." He replies quick and blunt.

Victoria clenches and unclenches her jaw. "Did you know that you could be denied? The judge could choose not to grant the divorce to you?"

Hoseok pauses mid bit of food and looks at her. His eyes narrows as he glares. He's heard of it but doesn't understand why she feels that it applies to him.

"What does that have to do with me, Victoria?"

"My lawyer said that you probably won't get the divorce you're looking for. The most they'll grant is legal separation but we'll still be married. You'll owe me money, paying monthly and child support. You can be with that girl all you want but you'll never marry her, Hobi. She'll never be your wife. How do you think she'll feel about that?"

Hoseok swallows as he tries to figure out if she's bullshitting or not. Honestly, he can't tell. Either way, it's something that he'll have to bring up when he sees his lawyer tomorrow.

"Wife or not, I'll still be hers. I don't need a marriage license to prove that. She knows and she's not going to let you ruin anything for her or us. Thought she made that clear already."

Yes, marrying Alina at some point in the future would be nice. It would be wonderful for them. But he doesn't need to. People stay together their whole lives without being married.. All it really is, is a document stating that you are legally tied to someone. It doesn't guarantee that they'll love you or choose you forever. It doesn't stop your partner from stepping out. It doesn't stop anyone from falling out of love. All it guarantees is a large amount of paperwork and a loss of 20-30k should anything go wrong. Divorce is not free.

Hoseok's statement shuts Victoria up and he finishes his food before walking upstairs. He goes into the guest room and closes the door, locking it for good measure. He texts Alina making sure that she's okay for the night.

My 🤎: I'm okay, baby. Shock has been
clingy today and sleeping in your spot

I know that he misses me. Tell him that
I'll be home as soon as I can

He knows. He's just been a little
sad. We'll be okay

You have to work early in the morning.
Go to sleep. I'll text you when I'm out of court
I love you

Okay. I love you too

Hoseok puts his phone on the charger and locks his screen. He hears the front door open and close, signaling Victoria's exit. He doesn't have to look at the time, he knows that it's after nine.