Chapter 4

The bell on the shop door rang and Shawn looked up. Ah, a regular customer. "Hi Zack, what do you need today?" Shawn said with a laugh. Zack was a treasure hunter and stocked up on his business before each trip. Thanks to him, the shop that he almost had to give up five years ago was running.

"Hey Shawn, the usual. I need new ropes for my climbing armor, an additional carabiner, a new head camera and two bright flashlights."

Shawn scurried through the shop to get the things. Meanwhile, Zack looked around and packed this and that. In the end, Shawn typed everything in and wrapped it in an eco-friendly bag. "That makes eight hundred and sixty-four."

Zack put down one thousand and left. Shawn was happy about the juicy tip and shouted: "Thank you and see you next time!" Zack raised his hand as a sign, and he went on.

At Belial's estate, he ran after Aleks. After Aleks had told Zack of Belial's treasury, the curiosity had become almost unbearable. Today he was allowed to (finally) go in and browse for things that could help him in his search. Full of anticipation, he rubbed his hands. He strolled through the shelves. So many treasures. He was itching to examine each of them, but he wasn't here for that.

Two things caught his eye. One of them was a chain with a luminous stone that could shine brightly. This was extremely useful. The second would hopefully never be used.

Fully equipped, he stood in the entrance hall. He wore weather-resistant, yet very flexible clothing and shoes. He also had a backpack in which he had stowed everything important. Well, I'm ready. Where is Mr. You-make-everything-difficult? Then he could already hear the familiar steps – light and elegant.

Lucan had combat clothing on and some weapons strapped around his body. Zack sighed. "You cannot be serious!"

The demon looked at him questioningly.

"Heaven Lord God, we're going to the human world. You can't walk around as a warrior, or do you want to be arrested as a gunman?" Zack said annoyed.

Lucan had no idea what he was talking about. Zack looked anything but suitably dressed for the trip. How could he defend himself in such thin clothing without weapons?

"Lucan, can you at least cast a camouflage spell to make you look like me?" Zack asked. The demon nodded and cast a replication spell, so his clothes now resembled Zack's.

Annoyed, Zack trudged past him. "Let's go and put it behind us."

Again, this aversion. What did I do to upset him so much? He had been aware that Zack wouldn't respond well to their collaboration, but it was the only way to spend time with him. He owed Astaroth something for that.

Zack tapped his fingers on his crossed forearms.

What was Zackory waiting for?

"Would you be so nice and open a portal?" He sighed. "I can't, I'm just a half-demon. I have already exceeded the number I can today," he nuzzled with an ashamed expression.

Why didn't he say that right away? Lucan thought. "Where should I open it?" Lucan asked.

Zack pondered. "Have you ever been to South America?"

"Yes, but a very long time ago. The last time I was on Earth was twenty years ago and that was in North America," Lucan said. Ok, that was a problem he hadn't considered.

Unbound portals could only be opened to places where the demon had already been, or if he had seen it at least once. Unfortunately, he couldn't show Lucan a picture of the cases and if it was too vague, they could end up in an unpredictable place.

"Then take us to Los Angeles," he told Lucan. The demon opened a portal, which they passed through one after the other.

In Los Angeles, they ended up in a park. They hadn't been able to use a public portal, otherwise someone would have noticed that they would go in search of the keys. Zack stopped a taxi that drove him to the airport. There he looked for the counter for flights to Venezuela. At the counter was an unmotivated employee with short ash-blond hair, freckles on his cheeks and horn glasses.

"Hello, is there still a flight to Venezuela today?" Zack asked kindly.

"Fully booked."

He hadn't even looked up. Lucan behind him contorted his face. Well, then you leave me no option. Zack emanated some of his seductive scent and asked in a seductive voice: "Mick, are you sure that there are not two free places left?"

The man looked at him and he saw his pupils dilate. "Uh... uh...", he stuttered.

Zack put a finger on his chin and whispered. "Surely you can arrange something for me, right?"

Completely enchanted, Mick just nodded.

Ten minutes later, they made their way to the gate. Lucan had only remained silent until now. When Zack had charmed the employee, his cat had hissed and his eagle had fluttered. He had felt a sting in his chest. "Do you always charm men to achieve your goal?" he asked, regretting it the moment he said it.

Zack looked at him stunned. "Are you manipulating all the humans you meet here to make your life easier?" he replied dryly. "I can't do it, so I have to do it that way. And to answer your question, no. But I don't have time today to wait three days for another flight, because then I would have to spend even more time with you."

That was a punch in the gut. What did I do wrong? Why can't my cat just purr at every other demon in this world? They silently boarded the plane. Zack plugged headphones in his ears and looked out the window. The news couldn't have been clearer – just don't talk to me.

Hours later, they landed. Then they took the bus and drove another three hours until they stopped at a motel. The next day they covered the rest of the way with a rental car. They spoke only the bare necessities. Lucan always seemed to want to start a conversation, but then stayed silent. He wanted to know more about Zack, but he didn't dare to ask. Because of the mistake yesterday, he was too insecure. He had never felt so helpless. Lucan knew he had to apologize – but didn't know how to address the issue.

"Speak up," Zack said out of nowhere.

Huh?

"You want to say something for a while now and you don't do it. That drives me crazy. Say what you have to say or stop nervously going back and forth."

He's really incredible. Lucan looked at Zack's silhouette shining from the rising sun. His bronze hair had become longer since their first encounter, falling into his neck. He had beautiful blue eyes, similar to Aleksander, but they had a green ring around the pupil. His chin and nose were curved and a mixture of soft and hard. With his 6'2'' height he was slightly smaller than Lucan and he had a slender build.

Is his skin as soft as it looks? Do his lips taste as sweet as I imagine?

Zack was not petite or weak. He wouldn't break if he would be a bit rougher with him. He was masculine and sensual at the same time.

The said demon clicked his fingers in front of Lucan's face and he returned to the present. "I want to apologize. What I said was more than inappropriate," Lucan said, unable to take his eyes off him.

"It's fine."

______________________

The journey begins.

What do you think of the first interaction between the two?

Did Lucan deserve Zack's pissed reaction and how do you find his reaction?

Your Mouse Goddess