Chapter 16

"Zackory," Lucan said, looking at the demon whose eyes wandered through the room in panic. At this speed, they wouldn't have more than five minutes left before they would be crushed.

"Where is the puzzle?" Zack said, whose brain was still functioning. "No, this space is connected to the others. We couldn't leave or enter a room just like that. It was always something that hadn't been visible. The invisible trapdoor, the passage on the floor, the sliding puzzle. The exit must be hidden and where we don't expect it."

They looked around, but unfortunately, they didn't have much time left. Then Zack's eyes fell on the spot in the center.

"Quicksand," Zack said. "And one of the aggressive variety. It devours you in less than half a minute, if not faster."

No, this is not possible. He looked at the walls, which were only two meters apart now. "Lucan." The demon looked at him. "Do you trust me?" asked Zack in a trembling voice.

"I entrust my life to you, Zackory," the demon said in a firm voice.

Shit, if he was wrong, they would die and it would be his fault.

"Zackory, say what you think. Your instinct has never let you down."

Zack took a deep breath in and out. "The quicksand. We have to get into the quicksand." His hands trembled. He waited, waited for an answer.

"Well, let's go."

Zack's head shot up and looked at Lucan. "How can you just follow me?" he asked.

Lucan went to him and took his face in both hands. "Look at me. I trust you without reservation. If this is our end, I will die by your side. But before that, forgive me," Lucan said in a soft voice.

Zack looked at him. "What do you mean? What are you apologizing for?"

At that moment, Lucan pulled Zack to his lips and kissed him tenderly. He let it happen.

"Take a deep breath."

Then he took a step forward with Zack and both fell into the quicksand. The walls were only a meter away, while they were swallowed by the sand in seconds.

They held their breath, everything was black around them. No sound, nothing. Only the warmth of their bodies. I need to breathe. Was I wrong? Did I condemn Lucan to die?

Then they fell. Zack opened his eyes and gasped. He felt his fall being slowed down. Two strong arms clutched him and held him. His heart was pounding wildly.

Lucan had summoned his wings and thus slowed down their fall. They carefully landed on the ground and Lucan placed Zack on the ground. He was right. He's incredible. He looked at his succubus, held him in his arms. Gradually, their hearts calmed down.

"That was close. Too close," said Zack, who still had his face buried in Lucan's crook of his neck.

"I was closer to death in the past," Lucan said, but that didn't calm Zack down a bit.

Zack cautiously broke away from the demon. They returned to reality. They were in a room with cavernous walls. Crystals and minerals sparkled everywhere and light stones illuminated the room in a soft light blue. In the middle of the room stood a column identical to the cave at Angel's Fall. These also adorned numerous mystical symbols and decorations. A light green, spherical jewel was enthroned on this column. In front of it lay a brown clay roll. Zack took the roll and hit it on the pillar, so it cracked.

"What are you doing?" Lucan asked.

Zack hit the pillar again with all his might. "We need to open it," he said without further explanation.