Chapter 41

Lucan's heart stopped. At one moment Zack was still next to him and he felt a slight breeze as he walked past him. At the other moment, his body flew over the parapet of the bridge into the depths. He screamed. Lucan knew that he wouldn't reach him, his opponent's blade kept him from doing so. He broke away and ran to the bridge, but Zack had already been swallowed up by the clouds. An incredible pain tore his chest and he roared.

Seto withdrew and emitted a deafening whistle. Numerous portals opened and Anzu demons shot out of them. The sky darkened. In the corner of his eye, he perceived a bright glow. This glow was a last spark of hope, hope that his heart had survived. Then time stood still.

Death was a bright light that received him. He was completely swallowed by it. It was as if he was sliding through jelly – viscous but permeable. Zack closed his eyes and allowed it. Seconds passed, then fresh air filled his lungs and he took a deep breath. He opened his eyes and straightened up carefully.

He was... where the hell am I? And what am I doing here? He sat on a surface of light. The whole floor was covered with a large magic circle. In this infinite space, there was nothing but a two-meter-high glass column in the middle and four other smaller ones on the edge of the circle. Carefully he stood up and looked at his body. I am naked, he suddenly realized. In fact, he wore nothing on his body except his amulet.

A stabbing in his left hand startled him. He opened them and saw the four jewels, then the memory returned abruptly. Seto, the fight and his jump. With careful steps, he explored the empty space, but only came as far as the edges of the circle. Then he went to the center, where the column was located. It was a column made of glass without any decorations.

Attentively, he walked along the circle line and stopped in front of the first column. This was also made of glass, but in contrast to the larger one in the middle, it had a depression in the upper third of it on the side, which turned towards the column. This was located on a circle with a unique pattern of spirals that twisted into each other. The next one column was identical, except that the pattern had curved, wavy lines. Like the flow of water. What if these are all the pillars of the four elements?

His assumption was confirmed when he examined the other two pillars. On the third were many overlapping rectangles symbolizing the element earth, and finally the element of fire, which was represented by a pattern of flames. Then the first had to be attributed to the element of air and the second to water.

Zack ran back to the second pillar, the pillar of the element water. Angel Falls had been the first stop on their journey, so he would start with this element. Carefully he drove his fingers over the depression, which roughly corresponded to the shape of the jewels. He carefully removed the sapphire and placed it in the depression. The column began to glow and the wave pattern covered the whole column.

A wave of water built up behind the column and spilled into the interior of the circle. Zack was caught by this and flushed inwards. Thank God he had protected the stones with both hands, otherwise he would probably have lost them. When he got up coughing, he saw that a quarter of the circle was now covered with water and the column was glowing blue.

If the same thing happens in fire, I will most likely be sizzled alive. A picture of flames grilling him appeared in his mind's eye. He sighed. It was no use. The next station was the element Earth. He placed the emerald they had found in Chichén Iztá in the depression and the luminous earth pattern covered the column. The column began to vibrate with soil and rock breaking out of the ground. Zack saved himself on a rock that grew out of the ground. After a few minutes, the earth calmed down and another quarter was filled and the column glowed green. Take a deep breath, and off you go.