Chapter 13

"Mom? Dad?" the little boy shouted and ran joyfully to the entrance.

"Hello, my sonny," his mother shouted and took him in her arms. She gave him a big kiss on the cheek. The little black-haired boy with the different colored eyes was, after the last measurement, a proud four feet tall. That was bigger than the other kids his age.

His father stowed the food they had fetched from the farmers in the village.

"Lucan, will you help your mom clean the vegetables?" his mother asked with a smile. The boy nodded enthusiastically.

Together they went to the preparation room for the meal. His mother filled a large barrel with water and his father placed a sack of Krimba next to it – starchy, potato-like lumps from which you could make all sorts of things. The fist-sized lumps had a large layer of dirt because they had been harvested fresh from the ground.

Lucan took a small brush and began to rub off the first Krimba with it. He kept dipping it in the water and continued until it was clean. Then he placed it on a pad so that it could dry. His mother had started humming. She always did this when they washed the vegetables and fruits together. The little boy listened to the soft melody and joined in at some point.

Meanwhile, his father took care of the wood. From time to time he looked at his wife and son, who were obviously having fun. Love was in his gaze when he looked at his Heart.

His wife was beautiful. Unlike the other Mazoku demons, she didn't have different colored eyes. They were both emerald green and beautiful. Her black hair fell down her back in long waves over the light blue sari with an ornate golden pattern that stretched down the right side.

When the two had finished their mission, his wife grabbed their son and turned in circles with him. He had almost finished his work, so they came out together.

"Nyiam, can we help you?" his beautiful wife asked him.

"No, Nyiam, I'm almost done. Go up already."

It was already turning to dusk, and it was time for her little one to go to bed. He still needed a lot of sleep as a toddler at only 15 years old. His Heart nodded.

He and his mother went inside together to wash themselves. They took off their clothes and sat down in the washroom on small humps, small buckets of warm water sat next to them. Lucan's mother took a washcloth and scrubbed his back. Lucan closed his eyes and enjoyed the pleasant, circular movements.

"Niam, should I wash your back too?" little Lucan asked.

"If you want, gladly, my darling," she said with a laugh.

Lucan fetched a small rag and dipped it into one of the buckets. Then he carefully pushed his mother's long hair aside to clear her back. On her back, a large, bulging scar stretched from her shoulder blade to her coccyx.

When Lucan first saw her, he was terrified. But his mother had smiled and said that this was a sign of her freedom. He didn't understand that. After they had finished washing, they slipped into a sleeping shirt.

Lucan lay down in the small bed that his father had made for him. It was a big box on the floor with lots of pillows in it. He snuggled into it and his mother covered him with a self-knitted blanket. He loved the blanket. On it were pictures of snakes, white eagles, hares and black wildcats.

"Niam, are you going to sing me a lullaby?" Lucan asked his mother with big eyes. She just smiled and began to sing. The whole room was filled with the pleasant sounds of her voice. Lucan's eyes slowly fell shut. He loved his Niam and his Txiv. He was just happy.