Chapter 32

As soon as his mate was gone, Zack became nervous. Aleks saw how he became squirrelly and drummed with his fingers on his thigh.

"Zack. It's ok if you miss him. I mean, your bond is fresh, I was no different with Belial."

"Bond?" asked Zack, surprised.

What? Aleks looked at him. Then he pulled Zack's top up, careful not to touch him. Nothing. "You haven't bonded yet?" he asked with wide eyes. How? "But he is your heart, isn't he?"

Zack looked embarrassed to the side. "We wanted to. The first time, you know... his natures marked me. It was incredibly intense... It was also a strain on my body. So we wanted to... later." He scratched his head embarrassed."But then I became..."

"You've been marked by his animals? What was that like?" Aleks asked curiously, and he had to admit he was curious, but also to distract Zack a bit. Zack turned red.

Heaven. Aleks had known Zack for over five years now, but the boy had never turned red. There were moments and conversations, but it must have been really intense. "Tell me everything," Aleks said, emphasizing each word individually.

Zack hesitated, but then gave in. "But don't you tell anybody."

Aleks made a gesture as if he were pulling a zipper on his mouth.

"Not even Belial."

He had to think for a moment, but then agreed. His mate certainly didn't want to know anything about his friend's sex life.

Zack took off his top and exposed the two markings. Ouch, that looks painful. Aleks must have made a corresponding facial expression, because Zack slipped a quiet laugh. "No, it wasn't painful. You should know, after all, your demon has sizzled an entire dragon on your upper body," Zack answered the unspoken question.

That's an understatement. Aleks unconsciously touched the bite wound and Zack shrunkback. "I'm sorry," Aleks said, withdrawing his hand in shame. Crap. He had forgotten it for a second.

"So, tell me," Aleks said, ignoring the burgeoning sense of guilt.

"Well, there's not much. We had solved the last puzzle. And then, well, we... banged."

Let's say he had been laid so hard that he didn't know where up started and down ended. Eventually, he turned red again. His brother looked at him with the You-don't-even-believe-it-yourself-now-tell-me-everything-and-thus-I-mean-everything-look.

Zack raised his hands capitulating. Aleks' face appeared a bit satisfied. 'Little brother card' successfully played. Then Zack began telling him every detail, starting at their first meeting.

Belial and Lucan walked down the aisle together and headed for Astaroth's study. They were silent. Was there anything to talk about? Yes. Did anyone want to start? Certainly not.

"Thank you," Lucan finally broke the silence. Belial looked at him questioningly. "Without Aleksander, Zack would be dead." Although Belial may have seen it differently, it was true.

"Without Zack, Aleks would be dead," he replied. This conversation had already taken place in the room.

"Also, Zack would never have gotten into this situation if Aleks and I hadn't asked him to take this trip," Belial added. "Aleks has been blaming himself ever since. He thinks it's his fault that Zack was hurt like that. I can't stop him from feeling that guilt."

Lucan looked at his friend.

"It's not Aleks' fault. I didn't protect him despite Nix' warning. It was my job to take care of him, and I failed miserably. I wasn't even able to protect my own heart."