Chapter 39

As their eyes got used to the light, the room slowly took shape. It was also a cylindrical room with a diameter of about twenty feet. But the amazing thing was that, unlike the ceiling and floor, the walls were made of glass – no, they were mirrors. In front of them stood their reflections. Numerous copies of themselves appeared around them.

"What does that mean?" Zack asked his demon. The light stones lit up in one fell swoop and it became bright in the room. The light rays were directed through the mirrors in all directions. Only for a second the room was bathed in light, then it was gone again.

Lucan took away the hand he had instinctively torn before his eyes. Zack stood opposite him and looked at him. "What happened?" he asked. Something was different.

"Do you know what these mirrors do?" Zack asked in a monotonous voice. Lucan's chest contracted. "They show you the true feelings, reveal your true self," he continued.

Lucan took a step towards Zack, then stopped. "What happened, Nyiam?"

"I think it's time to come clean to you. I just can't do it anymore. Not after I've seen the truth." A short break followed. "Don't get too close to me anymore. I want to get this over with as soon as possible so that I can finally get away from you."

The words bore like shards into Lucan's heart. "What are you talking about, Nyiam?"

The look on Zack's face was clear. He was cold, there was not a spark of affection. "When we get out of here, I will go my way and you yours," he said in a callous voice.

"You're talking nonsense. You are my heart and I am yours, I cannot let you go," Lucan said in a shaken voice. It felt like something was cutting off his air.

"Oh, is that so?"

What? What is he talking about? Why is he so... so cold? But it was his smell. His appearance. It was Zack.

"We're not connected by a bond or did I miss something?" he asked in an indifferent voice.

"I've marked you," Lucan pressed out.

"And? I will find another demon and form a bond with him, feed off him for the rest of my life," he replied condescendingly.

That was a blow to the pit of the stomach. Lucan backed away and looked at his companion in horror. "You can't do that. You can only feed off of me." If he wanted to leave, that would stop him. He couldn't let him go. But a laugh broke through his thoughts.

With a pejorative expression, Zack replied, "You actually bought that nurse's story about me? How stupid are you?"

What? He lied to me? Was it all just a lie?

"Do you think I'd stay with someone like you? Because of you, they captured me and tortured me." Then he began to scream, "Because of you, I have gone through the worst torments of my life. And for what? You haven't even been worth an ounce of the pain I've been through, and that's just become clear to me. Finally everything is clear. I never want you near me again, because otherwise only pain and suffering await me there."

Lucan fell on his knees. He could barely breathe. Zack had ripped his heart out of his chest, thrown it crushed on the ground and stepped on it. This pain, he could hardly bear it. My heart rejected me. He doesn't want me. He will leave me.

"You're just miserable. How could I be so blind?" Then Zack turned his back on him.

I can't breathe. It hurts so much. He felt lost, helpless. In desperation, he looked up at his mate, he had to convince him to stay with him. His neck-length bronze hair fluttered as he turned his head.