Chapter 5

They parked a little away at the edge of the forest." From here we have to walk," Zack said. That will take time.

"Do you know where we need to go?" his companion asked him.

Zack just nodded briefly.

"Well, then it's not necessary."

Zack didn't know what he meant. When Lucan turned into a great white eagle, he understood.

Climb up and steer me.

"I... can hear you?" Zack said, stunned.

If you've heard my voice before, I can communicate with you this way, but only when you're around me.

"Wow. Okay."

Hold on tight, Zackory.

Zack's heart stopped for a moment. He said his name for the first time. With a spectacular start and some powerful wing beats, they were up in the air and the forest raced past them. Zack laughed. Awesome! This is what flying feels like?

A warm feeling spread in Lucan's chest when he heard Zack's laughter. He felt his warmth in his plumage, he was so close. Under Zack's guidance, they progressed quickly. When they were close to their destination, Lucan flew a few extra laps with some spectacular maneuvers.

Below them stretched the mighty waterfall that plunged into the depths into the valley. The masses of water rushed again and again against the rock walls and jumped forward with the  wind blowing them on all sides. Fortunately, today the wind wasn't that strong. Small clouds of fog ran along the sides of the waterfall, which gave the feeling of flying above the clouds.

Zack enjoyed every second and it was over way too quickly for his liking. Lucan landed near the waterfall and transformed back into his zero form. Zack's cheeks were reddened and his hair disheveled. He looked beautiful. Back to the essentials, they weren't here for pleasure.

"What do you think, where is the entrance?" Lucan asked him.

"The script said, 'Knock, knock, it sounds on the door. The great tears of an angel fall on the world, running inexorably. ' I guess the entrance won't be up here, that would be too easy. It will most likely be on the way down or at the bottom. At a point where the water hits rock and a knocking sound is made."

That makes sense, Lucan thought. Then he saw Zack start unpacking ropes from his backpack.

"What do you need them for?" the demon asked him.

Zack looked at him. "To climb, or how are we going to come down?"

"We fly," Lucan replied.

Zack stopped and pondered. "In front of the waterfall there are strong air currents and turbulence. Can you withstand them?"

Lucan nodded. His eagle was strong and trained. His partner hesitated, then packed the ropes again.

"Well, then show me what you can do, master of the skies."

Sarcasm? Lucan grinned and accepted the challenge.

Zack climbed on the back of the white eagle. Then Lucan sailed over the abyss, over a kilometer into the depths. Under them everything was wrapped in a beautiful, white haze. His heart was pounding and adrenaline was shooting through his veins.

Lucan flew to the waterfall and kept a distance of about three meters.

I can't get any closer.

Zack felt drops of water wet his skin and enjoyed the feeling. Then Lucan flew spirally down the waterfall. After about a third of the way down, he discovered a rocky promontory on the right, on which the water bounced and continued to flow. "Lucan, there. Can you land on the ledge?" he shouted against the loud sounds of the waterfall.