Chapter 27

The buzzing and chirping of insects awakened Zack. He took a deep breath, absorbing the smells of nature. Then the hearty smell of his mate rose into his nose. He turned around and looked at his loved one. It wasn't a dream.

Last night he had united with Lucan. With a smile, he drove over the bite mark at the left base of his neck, then over the claw marks on the right side – the markings of Lucan's natures. They had fully accepted him as theirs. Now, only Lucan's mark on his chest and Zack's mark on Lucan's chest were missing. Tonight, Zack decided.

Carefully he got up so as not to wake up his beloved one. He put on his underwear and top. His pants were under Lucan's butt, so they were out of reach at the moment. Zack took his notebook and the note with the hint from his backpack and walked a few meters away. With a moan, he sat down on a large stone. His muscles and butt protested. Hell, he really fucked me to the point of unconsciousness. Restraint is probably a foreign word to him. But it had been fantastic. Zack shook his head to drive away the ascending images. If only he wasn't that hot, damn. Now he's all mine. Concentrate!

First, he wrote the words of the hint in his sketchpad.

Gold and red, side by side. Flying high, towards eternity. Never together and yet one. Present and future united. Open your eyes and you will see.

Thoughtfully, he chewed on the pencil. It must have something to do with air. Flying high. So maybe something at a high altitude – a mountain? His thoughts circled and he wrote them on the paper. Suddenly, he heard a rustle behind him. Did Lucan wake up? With a smile, he turned around to greet his heart.

One second later, a fist hit his right cheek and he was knocked back. The notebook had fallen out of his hand and slipped behind the stone. Everything turned and he tried to get a clear thought, but the pain made it almost impossible for him. What...? He tried to scream.

Zack felt himself being pulled up. Blurred shapes wandered before his eyes and dull words penetrated his ear.

"Note... Lucan... Keys."

He understood nothing. Then a new pain blossomed on his other cheek. He gasped. A loud roar reached his ear, but then the darkness swallowed him.

A loud noise roused Lucan from his sleep. Something was wrong. With his eyes, he searched the environment, then he realized it – Zack is gone. Where is he? In a matter of seconds, he turned into the panther and numerous smells and sounds stormed in, one of them was the smell of Zack's blood. The panther reared up and ran at lightning speed in the direction from which the smell came.

He broke through the bushes. In front of him, he saw two figures pulling Zack's limp bodies through a portal. The blood ran out of his nose and his cheeks were swollen. He roared and ran towards them, but the portal closed before he could reach it.

Anger rose in him, then panic. His cat went crazy because they had taken its mate with them. For this they will die. He would find them, because his cat had captured their smells – he would recognize them everywhere.

With deep breaths, Lucan forced himself to calm down and regain control. Slowly he took on his zero form. He looked around the scene. Zack's scent was most intense on the large boulder. He must have been sitting there and they had surprised him from behind. With his hands he drove over the stone, on which a remnant of Zack's body heat was still attached. He clenched his fist. Control. Stay with yourself, you have to think rationally now. Then his gaze fell behind the stone where a white corner peeked out. He reached in and pulled on it. Zack's sketchpad came to light.

He sat here trying to decipher the next clue. Unfortunately, Lucan didn't know what it was because Zack hadn't read it aloud. He opened the book and turned to the last page. There it was. Zack had written the note in it and nothing but that, everywhere around he had written his thoughts.