Side story Chapter 1

"Come on, they'll be here soon," Connie's voice echoed through the kitchen. She quickly whizzed through from oven to oven and monitored that nothing burned. Lina set the table and lit candles that exuded a pleasant scent of lavender.

Countless plates and cutlery stood on the large oak table with natural grain. Small vases with bouquets adorned the table, next to them stood the fragrant candles. Seira calmly prepared the salad, while Rika took the individual pots out of the oven and added a generous amount of cheese. Kara sat on the sofa in her absolute calm and polished one of her swords.

A slight vibration went through the air and a little later Zack and Lucan stepped out of the corridor into the large living room. Rika happily ran out of the kitchen and hugged her foster son with a smile. Lucan also received a hug, which he received with joy.

"It's done," Connie's voice rang out from the kitchen and the hustle and bustle began. Gradually, the succubi carried in the salads and steaming pots with the tacos and burritos and placed them on the large table. Everyone sat down soon followed by Kara.

When Zack saw the steaming pots, he felt the deep sense of being home. He was happy to finally be back here. Even though he settled in well with Lucan, he often missed his home in the after-school care center.

"Lucan, you should grab for it now before the battle begins," he whispered, earning a questioning look. Just when Zack wanted to explain it, it was unfortunately too late. As if there had been an imaginary kick-off, five succubi pounced on the food as if there were no tomorrow.

Lucan watched the spectacle with amazement as Rika and Lina fought for a taco with a particularly brown crust with their forks – as if they were about to murder each other. Insanity. Zack just laughed and waited for the opportunity to reach for one of the burritos. Unfortunately, at that moment the fork of Kara came towards him. Ice-cold eyes met his own and a duel of glances began. Whoever lifted the fork first would lose.

His mate watched the whole thing with fascination. In the end, Zack lost, but won against Seira. Lucan waited until everyone was done with the fighting and then took one. He had to admit that they really tasted great and the joy in Zack's face warmed his chest.

When everyone was mostly full, they sat back and enjoyed the aftertaste. The general banter began and Zack exchanged views with his family. He then got serious.

"Rika. I'm not just here for the taco night," he began, and Rika sat up and looked at him. "I know it's unexpected – but I think I'm ready to learn more about him now. Please tell me more about my father."

A silence occurred and everyone looked at him. A meaningful look appeared on Rika's face. Zack had blocked her from the beginning when she wanted to talk about him. He simply wasn't ready. Now that he finally had solid mental support with Lucan, he flourished and now let his walls down.

"Zack, I'll tell you, but I'll tell you in advance, it's going to be a sad story," Rika said.

Zack nodded and leaned against Lucan, who wrapped his arms around him and pressed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Well, this story is not a story I can tell on my own, because it belongs to all of us. Let's start at the beginning, with the day your father, Killian, first understood what and who he was...", Rika began.

Killian saw the laughing children playing in the yard. The hair fluttered in the wind and the giggling filled the air. He himself sat on a small chair inside and peeled the vegetables that lay in front of him. Next to him was the window through which he could watch the children. Longing spread in him and he sent a questioning look at his mother, who was standing at the stove and cutting the vegetables.