Chapter 10

Suddenly Zack was pulled behind a corner. One hand closed around his mouth before he could scream.

Lucan whispered "stay quiet" in his ear.

Zack's galloping heart slowly calmed down. What happened? He looked questioningly at the demon. He put his finger on his lips. Then pointed to his ears. Ears? Then he heard a soft scream.

"I don't know where they are. They're with the other group," he heard a female voice. Another sobbed and cried. "Please don't do anything to us," she pleaded.

"The others have already said that," he heard an angry male voice.

"Seto. They were manipulated. They are no longer here," followed another male voice.

They are looking for us. Damn. Zack's thoughts overturned. What should they do?

"Erase their memories. They are of no use to us," said the nameless man.

"But they smell so good," said the one who was called Seto. Are they going to hurt these women? No, I can't allow that, not because of me.

As if Lucan had known what he was up to, a strong arm wrapped around his chest and locked. He couldn't move a millimeter. Angrily, Zack tried to free himself – futilely. He was trapped in Lucan's arms. Lucan's arms. He is close, too close. He smelled his harsh, wild scent and felt the heat that his body radiated. Shit.

Lucan focused on the attackers while keeping the succubus at bay. He wouldn't allow anything to happen to him. Not for a few human people, as cruel as that sounded. Zack's resistance set in. Has he given up? Then a smell pungent in his nose – lilies and honey. Shit.

Zack emitted a strong decoy scent. Lucan's pupils dilated and he became hard.

"Do you smell that too?" the nameless man asked.

They noticed us! Zack must stop luring. Why is he beckoning? Is he hungry? If he was hungry, there was only one possibility. He had no choice.

Zack tried to calm down, but his heart was pounding wildly. He's too close. He was breathing heavily. Then his face was turned to the side. What...? At that moment, Lucan's lips met his own. He sighed. A tongue penetrated his mouth and tenderly caressed his own. He closed his eyes and relaxed. He felt energy flowing into his body through his mouth.

The kiss ended too early. He looked at his demon with his eyes slightly open.

"They're gone. It worked."

It worked? It was as if someone poured a bucket of ice-cold water over Zack. It worked?! Did he only... just to calm me down? A feeling of disappointment, sadness and then anger spread within him.

Lucan was relieved that Zack's smell had receded, but when he looked at Zack's face, it immediately disappeared. He looked hurt. Then he realized it. What have I done? "Zackory. I... I'm-"

"Save it. We have to go." Zack moved a few meters away to gain distance between them. He wrapped his arms around himself and trembled.

"We have to go back, back to the pyramid. That is the only place where they can't find us... We must... we have to keep going. The sooner we finish, the better." The faster I get away from you, the faster this pain that eats through my chest stops.

"Ok." Lucan didn't say more, because he knew Zack didn't want to hear excuses. Lucan knew he would regret this all his life.

So they went back to the pyramid. They opened the secret passage and slipped through the trapdoor that closed above them. The unknown demons wouldn't find them.

Zack turned on the flashlight to bring light into the darkness. Then he pulled a large stray lamp out of his backpack and turned it on. The whole room was illuminated. They looked around. They were in a cubic room with no windows or any recognizable exit. A breeze flowed from the trapdoor above them.

"We need to rest," Zack said, referring more to himself.

"We will move on as soon as we wake up," Lucan said.

Zack sat down and leaned against the wall. Lucan sat at a distance from him. He would watch over him as long as he slept.

Zack was tired and emotionally drained. He welcomed the sleep that befell him. Lucan closed his eyes for a little bit. After a few minutes, Lucan felt pressure on his thighs. He opened his eyes and looked down. Zack had laid down on his side and his head rested on his thigh. What shall I do? Wake him up?

He raised his hand, but let it sink again. He enjoyed his warmth. It's probably the last time. Sadness and remorse invaded the demon. So he watched and watched over his treasure.

Zack opened his eyes. His cheek lay on something slightly softer than the ground. It took him a few moments to see what exactly he was lying on. He was lying on Lucan's thigh. He sat up and saw the sleeping demon.

Did I tilt to the side in my sleep? Thank God, he didn't notice that. Memories of their kiss haunted Zack's inner eye. Don't think about it.

He stood up and stretched his stiff limbs. It wasn't the first time he had slept on the hard floor, but he probably wouldn't get used to it. The glow of the lamp lit up the room. The battery lasted for at least two weeks, so they didn't have to worry about that.

Then Zack carefully touched Lucan's shoulder to wake him up. Lucan suddenly opened his eyes.

"We have to keep going," Zack said in a monotonous voice. The demon just nodded, said nothing. He got up and they both looked around the room. They walked around and examined the walls.

"Zackory, here. There's a switch," Lucan said, pointing to the lever sticking out of the wall.

A switch? That's too easy. Wait. "Wait, Lucan, don't! That's a- "

Then they fell. The floor was folded down under them. They rolled down a mountain. When they were left lying at the bottom, the earth shook. The floor they once stood on returns to its original place and closes.

"Zackory! Are you okay?" Lucan shouted.

Zack opened his eyes. The lamp had miraculously survived the exit. Carefully he pulled himself up. "I'm fine, just a few bruises, nothing bad," he reassured his companion. Then, he looked around and it didn't look good. At first glance, they were in a hermetically sealed room. No entrance and no exit. Excellent.

"Zackory."

"Yes?" he asked the dem. Please don't let it be an excuse or excuse, I don't want to hear it.

"On the ceiling."

"Huh?"

"There is something written on the ceiling. Can you read that?" Lucan asked him.

Zack looked at the ceiling. He saw a carved inscription.

"On wings and on legs you shall not leave this room anymore."

Great. We will die here.

_______________________

A lot has happened. The hunt for them has now begun.

What do you think of their first kiss and Zack's reaction?

Do you have any idea how they can escape from the room?

Your Mouse Goddess