Chapter 29

Pain burned brightly in his body. He could hardly breathe. Cold crept up his limbs. It would now come to an end. One last time, the image of his beloved appeared before his eyes. I'm sorry, but I have to go now. I can't go on anymore.

His body fell to the side. A metallic clacking sound was caught in his ears. His amulet had slipped out from under the neckline of his top and hit the ground. He took it in his hand and stroked it lovingly. Brother, please remember me. Become happy.

His finger got caught in the ring that hung on the ribbon of his chain. His head hurt. There was something – something he shouldn't forget. There was something to do with this ring.

He strolled through the shelves. So many treasures. He was itching to examine each of them, but he wasn't here for that. Two things caught his eye. One of them was a chain with a light stone that could shine brightly. This was extremely useful. The second would hopefully never be used.

Then the part of the memory came back.

He took off his necklace and hung the small ring with the purple gemstone onto the necklace. Then he put it back on.

He felt a warm feeling – hope? With the last of his strength, he took the ring and hit the purple stone on the ground. Nothing happened. He was too weak. One last attempt. He pulled up, gained momentum and put everything into the punch. With a last cry, the stone hit the ground and broke.

Darkness. Pain. Fury. He was sitting here. Shackled. His limbs had been chained to the wall. Zack. His thoughts revolved only around his heart. Again and again, the images of his mate drowned him, how he knelt injured in front of them, how they cut off his wing and he fell unconscious to the side after an excruciating cry of pain.

He couldn't save him. He had failed, he had lost his heart. The last reason that had kept him alive since the death of his parents and best friend was gone. I will soon follow you, my beloved. Now he could understand what his mother had felt at the time. How could she have waited so long to say goodbye to Lucan?

He would ask Astaroth to kill him. His friend should be able to fulfill this, so he would return to the side of his heart. The cell door opened.

Belial stepped into the cell where his friend was sitting. He was calm, didn't move, said nothing. He could imagine what Lucan was feeling because had been through the same when Aleks died. Even though Astaroth hoped to keep Lucan sane, he knew that this wasn't possible.

Belial was about to go to his friend when he felt magic rise. Eventually, he took a fighting position. Violet fog formed, a cloud that formed out of nowhere. When the smoke cleared up, there was a body lying on the ground. A man with his wings cut off and a stump on his tailbone on which had been a tail once. Bronze hair stained with blood fell over his face.

Lucan had his eyes closed. Then he felt a tingling sensation. The scent of lilies and honey embraced him. He laughed bitterly. Fate, you are cruel. Now he was already imagining things. Then he opened his eyes. In front of him lay a lifeless body. When he realized who it was, he woke up. He roared and tore at his shackles.

"Let me go!" he shouted. Lucan felt the shackles loosen. Immediately he fell forward and closed his arms around his body. With an ear on his chest, he searched for a heartbeat. Seconds of tension fell away when he heard a soft thump. It was weak, but it was there. He's alive. Without hesitation, Lucan bit his forearm and placed the bleeding wound on Zack's mouth.

"Nyiam, drink. I beg you," he whispered, but Zack only gave a roar and the blood ran out of his mouth.

Horrified, he looked at his companion, then looked at Belial. "Get Aleksander!" he shouted. The angel was the only one who could save his heart. Belial disappeared immediately.