A slight progress

Raphael

I walked to the entrance of a barbershop and entered. After signing in, I waited until the barber called my name. I sat down in a barber chair. He placed a plastic cover on me and started cutting my hair. He trimmed the top, shortening it, and blended the sides and back as he buzzed my hair.

When the barber finished, he removed the plastic cover. I handed him cash and left. I had become overdue for a haircut and hated when it became shaggy. Val kept some length. Pat kept his hair short. Romeo looked like he belonged to a boy band. Marty controlled his top longer and back short.

I left the barbershop and headed to Subway. I ordered a footlong steak sub, a bag of chips, and a pop.

"What did you do to your hair?"

I glanced to find Reese standing next to me, turned to face her, and shoved my hands in my front jean pockets. "I needed a haircut."

"I like it." Reese shrugged.

"Yeah, my ma is on me about shaving." I rubbed the scruff on my face.

"It makes you rugged."

"Hungry?"

"Yeah, I figure I would grab a sub."

"What do you want?"

"A turkey club."

"Hey, can you add a six-inch turkey club, a bag of chips, and a pop to my order?"

The girl nodded.

"Thanks."

"I can order my food."

"I figure I'm in line." I shrugged.

"Thanks." Reese turned her face from me and tried not to smile.

The girl placed our food on a tray and handed me two cups. I paid her and took the tray. Reese grabbed the cups from me, walked over to the pop machine, and filled them with ice and pop. She stroked over to the table and slid across from me. I handed her food to her.

"Did you get everything sorted with Romeo?"

Reese's question caught me off guard.

I recovered quickly. "Yeah, it was stupid. Romeo wanted to know what guys like to do in their free time."

Reese creased her forehead. "Shouldn't Romeo know what guys like to do since he is a guy?"

"Yeah, my brother isn't wrapped too tight." I bit into my sub.

Reese snickered.

"We should hit the beach."

Reese's smile disappeared as she stared at me and blinked.

"Running on sand provides resistance."

"Oh." Reese averted her eyes from me, and her cheeks turned rosy as she shifted in her seat.

I had to remember what Romeo said. Don't act too eager or push. You'll ruin your shot before it happens.

"We could invite the others," I said in between bites of my sub.

Reese's face snapped to me, and she leaned forward with her hands in her lap. "I wouldn't mind if there was a beach outing."

"I'll tell my brothers while you tell the girls."

Reese nodded as we finished eating. Afterward, we parted ways. Shit. I had to drive in the opposite direction, so it didn't seem like I was stalking her. I swear to God, I'll hurt Romeo when I see him.