My girl

Reese

I wanted to see if Rafe meant what he said, so I left the house before he got up. I ran quite a distance before he was running next to me. We glanced at each other and smiled.

We ran toward the wooded path as our running shoes hit the uneven terrain. We picked up our pace as we made it to a clearing to find the sun rising in the east. I stood with my hands on my waist, trying to catch my breath. Rafe slid his arms around my waist from behind me. I lay my head on his chest and rested my hands on his arms. It was little moments like these that made everything with Rafe worthwhile.

Once the sun rose, we turned and ran towards the bakery. The soles of our running shoes hit the ground with a thump as we raced to the bakery, but this time Rafe won. I stopped to catch my breath.

"Well, it seems I won." Rafe crossed his arms and smirked.

"Only because you have long legs."

Rafe leaned into my face. "Uh, I didn't mean a win in that aspect." He smiled at me as he wiggled his brows.

I rolled my eyes, but I grinned. Rafe stole a kiss before entering the bakery. I shook my head, laughed, and followed him.

As we strolled towards the counter, Rafe slid his hand into mine and interlocked our fingers. Okay, the hair stood up on my arms. We reached the counter, and Rafe moved me in front of him. Braydon glanced at us.

"Give my girl anything that she wants," Rafe told Braydon.

"Well, this is a new development," Braydon said.

"It's a work in progress." I shrugged.

"Uh, huh."

"Can I have an apple muffin and a coffee?"

"Sure. And what about you?" Braydon looked at Rafe.

"I'll take a chocolate chip muffin and a coffee," Rafe said.

"Ooh, that sounds better. Switch my apple muffin to a chocolate ship muffin," I said.

"You got it." Braydon grabbed our orders.

The bell chimed as Bailey entered and strolled over to the counter.

"You up early," I mentioned.

"Yep," Bailey said.

"Rafe and I were getting muffins and coffee. Did you want to join us?"

Bailey glanced at Rafe. "I'll pass. I wouldn't want people to assume things about me."

Rafe tensed but didn't say anything. Braydon returned with our order, and Rafe paid.

"Oh, isn't that nice that Rafe pays for someone," Bailey mentioned.

Rafe grabbed our order, walked to a table, and sat down.

I turned to Bailey. "What's wrong with the snarky attitude?"

"Ask your boyfriend since he doesn't think anyone gives a shit about you."

"What?" I knitted my brows.

"Oh, that's right. You weren't there when Rafe jumped my ass about not caring about you. But it doesn't matter. Rafe can do no wrong. But then again, not everyone is truthful."

"What?"

"Ask Rafe the real reason why he pursued you."

I stared at Bailey as she grabbed her order and left. I walked over to the table and sat down.

Rafe placed my muffin in front of me. "Is everything okay?"

"Why did you pursue me?"

"Because I like you." Rafe bit into his muffin.