Getting closer

Reese

Throughout the night, the meeting on Friday plagued my thoughts. Questions buzzed without any answers. Since sleep was eluding me, I went for an early morning run.

It wasn't long before Rafe was running next to me. I didn't even protest or argue with him. We kept time as our running shoes hit the pavement in an even stride.

"Rough night?"

"I had a lot on my mind."

"Do you want to talk about it? We have time."

I slowed my stride until I came to a halt and put my hands on my waist. Rafe followed suit to catch his breath.

"Did you ever have doubts about something?"

"Yeah, who hasn't?" Rafe shrugged.

"It's like one minute, I'm sure about my decisions. Next, I question everything. It's so frustrating." I groaned.

"Did you ever consider the possibility that you're overthinking things?"

I knitted my brows.

"You spend more time questioning yourself than anyone. Where is that girl that didn't lament about her problems? Weren't you the girl that said you would listen to me whine about my problems?"

I rolled my eyes and shook my head as a snicker escaped my lips. Rafe walked towards me and stood in front of me. I craned my head upward to look at him as he looked down at me.

"Don't let anyone make you second guess yourself. You're better than that. Show people that spunky, sarcastic girl that I know exists because I've met her."

"I miss that girl." I scrunched my nose.

"I blame my cousin since he's a twit and makes a girl question herself."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"Now, get your ass moving so we can race to the bakery."

"Tag, you're it." I tapped Rafe's chest and took off in a sprint.

"Oh, that's it!"

I laughed as I picked up my pace and ran like the wind. Rafe caught up to me, wrapped his arms around me, and spun me around. I squealed in his arms. He stopped, set me down, and released me. Then the jerk tagged me.

"Tag, you're it." Rafe took off running in the opposite direction.

I pivoted on my heels and ran after him. When I caught him, I jumped on his back. He stumbled forward but caught his footing. I wrapped my arms around his neck as my body dangled in the air. I didn't realize how tall Rafe was. Shit.

"How tall are you?"

"Six foot two." Rafe swiveled his head to glance at me. Why?"

"Because I miss calculated your height. I'm dangling from your neck."

Rafe peeked at my feet and chuckled. He looped his arms around my legs and started walking.

"Wait. What are you doing?"

"Giving you a piggyback ride since your short stubby legs will slow us down."

"Hey!" I gave Rafe a playful tap on his shoulder.

He snickered. Curse my short legs. I gave up and enjoyed my piggyback ride.

********
Rafe

I carried Reese on my back as we headed to the bakery. Yeah, I had ulterior motives to offer her a piggyback ride. It gave me a chance to have her body pressed against mine.