Pursuit

Reese

I got up early, changed, and tiptoed out of the house before the others woke up. Once I closed the door behind me, I started on my trek. It didn't take long before someone kept pace with me. I didn't bother to acknowledge Rafe and focused on my breathing.

We ran in comfortable silence until we stopped to catch our breaths.

I placed my hands on my waist and paced around. "What are you doing here?"

"I figured you wanted company." Rafe shrugged.

"Why? I'm sticking to the main road, so I don't worry the others."

"It's become our thing. Plus, who doesn't enjoy getting up at the butt crack of dawn to run?"

I shook my head at Rafe's asinine question and couldn't help the snicker that escaped my lips as Rafe chuckled. "You're an idiot."

"Yeah, well, you're talking me."

We turned and started walking back.

"I'm sorry for what I said yesterday."

My brow quirked. "Is Raphael Harper apologizing? Be still my beating heart."

Rafe rolled his eyes and pointed at me. "Don't get used to it."

I giggled.

"I don't want to find out something happened to you while out on the run."

I glanced at Rafe. "Oh?"

"I know how important running is to you, and it would ease my mind if you were safe."

"I will admit that it has been nice to run with someone."

"Yeah?" Rafe glanced at me.

I stopped as he did, too. "Yeah, most people don't understand why I enjoy running. But it's important to me."

Rafe crossed his arms. "Why's that?"

I looked down at the ground and kicked it with my foot. "It helped me after my parents died." I lifted my head and looked at Rafe. "Devin took me to a local track, told me to visualize our parents, and run towards them. I didn't understand what he meant until I pictured them standing at a distance. As I ran towards them, they moved further away from me. I willed my feet to go faster, but I never caught them. It was the first time I had cried since they died."

Rafe uncrossed his arms and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around his core, buried my face into his chest, and focused on my breathing. Rafe rubbed my back as I stood there. It's been years since I lost my parents, but some days it feels like it was yesterday. Running helps me cope with my grief.

Rafe released me. We started walking back.

"Race you to the bakery." Rafe shot me a knowing look.

We sprinted from our spots and ran towards the bakery. One day, Rafe might win.

*******
Rafe

Reese tried to sneak out of the house without anyone noticing. Did she forget I got her routine down pat? When you spend the entire summer with someone, you learn everything about them, including their routines.

It didn't take long until I fell in step with her. Her body tensed but relaxed after a few minutes. I knew it would. Reese acts standoffish, but her body betrays her whenever I'm near her. Her body craved mine as much as mine craved hers.

After pulling her into that embrace, I had to refrain from claiming her lips. It wasn't easy because my body reacted to hers. When her hands touched my back, I thought about stupid shit to stop my arousal. Fuck.