Reassurance

Reese

I checked on Rafe, but his brothers crowded the bathroom doorway. So, I grabbed a shower and changed into jeans, a polo top, and sneakers. I came downstairs and strode into the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee.

While pouring coffee into a mug, someone slid their arms around me from behind and nuzzled my neck. "Sorry that I flipped out on you."

I turned around in Rafe's arms and gave him a reassuring smile. "It's okay."

Rafe lowered his arms and stepped back. "No, it's not. I shouldn't flip out because you try to touch my hair." Rafe rested his hands on his waist.

I picked up my coffee, held it in both hands, and sipped it.

"Don't you want to know why?"

"No." I sipped my coffee as Rafe stared at me. "I figure you have your reasons."

Rafe narrowed his eyes and scrutinized my face. Then his brows lifted in surprise. I gave him a small smile. He tugged on my shirt, pulled me to him, and captured my lips. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why Rafe freaked out on me.

Rafe rested his hands on my hips. "God, I love you."

I beamed at Rafe.

*********
Kayden

I sat at my desk, reviewing a few cases, when Grandpa tapped on my office door. I glanced at him as he strolled into my office and sat down in front of my desk.

"Are you busy?" Grandpa asked me.

"I was reviewing current cases of foster kids. What's up?"

"Do you remember a sexual abuse case involving five boys?"

I got up from my chair, closed my office door, and sat down on my office chair. "Erin mentioned something about it but didn't elaborate on it. Why?"

Grandpa rubbed his chin. "I have this hunch and need you to check something for me."

"Is it for a patient?"

"In a way."

If Grandpa wouldn't elaborate, he has a good reason.

I leaned back in my desk chair and rocked. "What do you need?"

"The foster kid that you placed with Elias and Tori."

"Leokadia? What about her?"

"Did she ever live with a foster family with a son?"

I knitted my brows because I remembered that family. It was the first family that I placed her with.

"Kayden?"

I sighed. "Yeah."

"Why was Leokadia removed from the home?"

A chill ran down my back, and my stomach churned after remembering the home visits. "Because I discovered the boy likes to play with real-life dolls and remove their clothes."

"How did you find out?"

"I spoke to Leokadia and asked her questions. She became quiet when I questioned her about the boy in the house. Then I had her draw me a picture."

"Do you have the picture?"

I nodded, rose from my seat, and opened a file cabinet drawer. After searching through the file, I pulled Leokadia's file, opened it, and handed the picture to Grandpa. He took the drawing, furrowed his brows, and lifted his head to me.

"I contacted the police. When the cops arrived, I collected Leokadia's belongings and removed her from the home. The police took the boy into custody."

"What was the outcome?"