Nothing like a revelation to bring joy and chaos to the holiday season

Reese

I looked at Devin with knitted brows.

"I never met to keep the truth from you, but I couldn't give you up."

"What?" I furrowed my brows.

"Your mother's parents wanted us to get rid of you to avoid embarrassment. I refused, and Mom and Dad lied and told everyone they adopted you so I could keep you.  They gave me a chance to raise and love you."

I stared at Devin as he looked at me. "You wanted me?"

"Of course. You're my daughter."

My eyes shifted to Cory and Brian, who nodded. My gaze met Devin's eyes. Then I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around me and returned the hug.

"I always wonder why I saw you as more of a father than 'Dad,' I said.

Devin squeezed me tighter.

"Now I know."

Devin pulled back and studied my face as he cradled my head and kissed my forehead. The truth is, I had this unbelievable bond with Devin. I remembered he had been there for everything while I was growing up.  I wished he would have told me the truth. It would help me.

After Devin released me, we sat down with Cory and Brian at the table and talked. Devin told me everything. I asked him questions, and he answered them.

"Well? Do you forgive us?" Brian asked me.

I glanced at Devin, Cory, and Brian. "I can't stay mad at you since you raised me. Most kids get two parents. I had five."

Devin, Cory, and Brian laughed. I shook my head as my lips curled into a smile.

"I'm glad we worked out our issues because Christmas would suck if we didn't," Cory said.

"I'm not calling you uncle Cory," I mentioned.

Cory rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, you don't need to call me Uncle Brian because that's weird," Brian said.

Devin rolled his eyes.

"That's fine, but I wouldn't mind calling Devin, Dad." My eyes shifted to Devin as Devin stared at me with raised brows. "I mean, if you don't mind." I shrugged.

Devin leaned toward me. "I would love it if you called me Dad."

I smiled as the corners of my dad's mouth twisted upward.

"Is it safe to come into the kitchen?" Someone asked.

We glanced at the doorway.

Rafe elbowed Romeo and rolled his eyes. "You're a dumbass." Rafe strolled toward me and leaned down into me. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah." I reached up, pulled his face to mine, and kissed him.

"This reminds me of the company picnics," Dad mentioned, shaking his head.

Rafe and I broke from our kiss and glanced at Dad.

"You and Rafe would chase each other."

"Wait. I remember those picnics because Dad would force us to go," Romeo said.

"Boy, do you want to enjoy Christmas?" Elias asked Romeo.

Romeo rolled his eyes as we laughed.

"Why don't I remember chasing Reese at the company picnics?" Rafe asked.

"You were usually pouting," Pat mentioned.

Rafe rolled his eyes.

"How about if we make cookies?" I asked.