The past rears its ugly head

Trigger warning: the following chapter will contain disturbing content. I recommend reader's discretion.

Reese

Rafe and I sat on his bedroom floor without talking. He chewed on his thumb but didn't speak. I didn't press him as we sat in silence. Then he reached over, took my hand in his, held it, and gave it three small squeezes. I returned the same number of contractions.

After a few minutes, Rafe pulled me into his lap, wrapped his arm around me, and played with my hair. I've never seen this side of him.

The doorknob turned as Val peeled into the bedroom and found me in Rafe's lap, with Rafe playing with my hair. I looked at Val without saying a word.

Val stepped inside, closed the door, and knelt in front of Rafe. "Rafe."

Rafe didn't utter a word but played with my hair. Val knitted his brows.

"Rafe won't hurt me," I said.

Rafe stopped playing with my hair.

I took a deep breath, trying to steel my nerves. "He's okay."

Val narrowed his eyes and scrutinized my face.

"You don't hurt someone you love."

Val nodded, stood up, and left the bedroom. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Thank you," Rafe whispered into my ear.

I turned my head and gazed into his eyes. "You don't need to talk about it."

Rafe nodded, wrapped his arms around me, and held me. We sat on the floor in the middle of his room without saying a word.

*******
Elias

I cut our drive time in half and reached the house in an hour and a half. After pulling into the driveway, Dad and I got out of the car and entered the place to find Liam, Casper, and Hayes sitting in the living room.

"Where are the boys?" I asked.

"Upstairs," Casper said.

Dad and I climbed the stairs, taking two stairs at a time. We knocked on each door and waited. Each door opened as the girls appeared.

"Valentine, Patrick, Romeo, Raphael, and Martin," I called out to my boys.

A few minutes later, the boys appeared in the doorway. I gave them a nod and braced for impact. The boys slammed into me as I stepped back to maintain my balance. Dad ushered the girls downstairs to provide the boys and my privacy.

Once the boys released me, we went into Val's room and shut the door. The boys glanced at each other but wouldn't look at me. My eyes darted from each boy.

Val crossed his arm and looked away. Pat had his hands in his pockets and shifted in his spot. Romeo kept rubbing his arm. Rafe stared at the floor. And Marty rocked back and forth on his heels. It's how the boys coped with the situation.

I blew air past my lips and rubbed the side of my face. "I spoke to your grandfather."

The boys' faces snapped in my direction.

"Your grandfather figured out the legalities to file a restraining order. Dad contacted Morgan." I crept towards the boys. "If that sonofabitch comes near you, I'll kill him."

It was the first time the boys relaxed since we had arrived.

Someone knocked on the door and opened it. We glanced at it as Dad entered and shut the door behind him.