Oh, sh*t

Reese

I arrived at the bakery to find Rowan, Sage, and Bailey waiting for me. Sage made a beeline to the pastry cases and plastered herself against it. We laughed.

"Hey, I just cleaned that glass," a guy said.

Sage peeled her face from the glass and looked at the guy. "I can't help it if you bake scrumptious treats."

"Okay, I forgive you."

Sage beamed.

"What can I get you?"

Sage stepped over to the counter and ordered. I headed to the bathroom as Rowan and Bailey talked. Ugh, I shouldn't have drank that large pop.

After taking care of my bladder, I washed my hands, came out of the bathroom, stopped dead in my tracks. Oh, shit. What the hell was he doing here?

My eyes darted around until I found a menu and shielded my face. I crept towards Bailey and Rowan as they argued over stupid shit. I stood with the menu, hiding most of my face. Rowan and Bailey stopped bickering and looked at me.

"Is there a reason you're holding a menu over your face?" Bailey pointed at me.

The guys glanced at us.

I ducked my entire face behind the menu and disguised my voice. "Oh, no reason. I was checking out the bakery's selections."

"The bakery has their selections listed above the counter," Rowan said.

"Yeah, but I left my glasses at home," I said.

"You don't wear glasses," Bailey said.

"Sure, I do." I shrugged.

"Since when?" Rowan said.

"Hey, Sage! Did you know Reese wears glasses?" Bailey yelled to Sage.

I peeked over the menu to find Sage talking to the guys.

Sage diverted her attention from the guys to Bailey. "Since when?"

"Since now." Rowan shrugged.

Ugh. I needed to get out of here.

"Sage, who is that girl hiding behind the menu?" A guy asked.

"My lunatic friend who dated Liam." Sage rolled her eyes.

I pressed my lips together and clenched my jaw.

"Wait. That was Liam's girl?" The guy asked.

"Are you deaf? I said she was."

I peered around the side of the menu to find the guy walking towards me. I pivoted on my heels, dropped the menu, and hurried from the guy.

The guy picked up his pace. "Don't I know you?"

I shielded my face with my hands, bumped into tables, and tripped over chairs. "No, I don't think so."

"Are you sure? You seem familiar."

I tripped over my feet with my head turned. "No, we've never met."

"Are you certain we've never met?"

I ran behind Rowan and Bailey and held them in front of me. They glanced at me. The guy moved around, trying to get a glimpse of me.

"What are you doing?" Bailey asked while smiling.

"That's my stupid mistake," I whispered.

Bailey's eyes bulged. Confusion swept Rowan's face.

"I just wanted to say hi. We didn't get to meet at Christmas," the guy said.