Responsibility

Reese

After finding out that Liam cheated on me, I made an appointment with the campus clinic. Even after Rafe assured me that I had nothing to worry about, I still wanted to get tested. Of course, Rafe accompanied me to my appointment.

We sat in the waiting room and waited for a staff member to call my name. My knee shook as I looked up at the ceiling, admiring its smoothness.

"Will you relax?" Rafe asked me.

"I shouldn't need to get tested when I trusted someone."

"No, but it comes with the territory."

I blew air past my lips. A staff member opened the door and called my name. I rose from my seat and followed the woman to an examination room. Once inside, she handed me a paper top and a paper cover and instructed me to change. Great.

The woman left so that I could change and wait for the doctor. I sat on the padded exam table and swung my legs in and out as I supported myself with my palms. A few minutes later, the door opened, and a woman entered, wearing a white lab coat.

"Reese Harris?"

"That's me."

"I'm Dr. Barnett." The doctor offered me a warm smile. "What brings you into the clinic today?"

I took a deep breath, trying to gather my thoughts before explaining the situation to the doctor.

"It sounds like you are taking a proactive role in your sexual health. Most young adults neglect their health because they dislike discussing it with their partner."

"I just need a peace of mind."

The doctor nodded with a reassuring smile. "I'll give you a full examination, collect samples and blood, and educate you on ways to protect yourself. Okay?"

"Yeah."

The doctor examined me, which sucked. Did you ever have someone shove a metal instrument into your nether regions? I don't consider it a walk in the park.

Next, she collected samples and drew blood, giving a container and vials to a nurse. After all that, she had me get dressed and spoke to me about safe sex. Oh, joy.

When did my life become complicated? Oh, that's right when I met the Harpers.

********
Rafe

I sat in the waiting room, flipping through a magazine about pregnancy. I didn't realize so many things happen when you knock up a girl. There were pictures of what a baby looked like during each month. Do kids look like an alien in the beginning?

A few minutes later, the door opened, and Reese strolled toward me. "What are you reading?"

"I'm reading how a baby develops during pregnancy." I flipped the alien baby page and showed it to her. "Did you know babies look like aliens?"

Reese snatched the magazine from my hands and tossed it on the table. "I prefer not to think about babies yet." Reese crossed her arms and tapped her foot.

I rose from my seat and hooked my thumbs into my front jean pockets. "No worries there. Ma and Dad will hurt me if I knock you up before I graduate college."

"Devin will hurt you if you knock me up before we graduate college."

I gave Reese an incredulous look. She rolled her eyes,
walked to the door, and left the clinic. I followed suit. It doesn't matter to me about Reese's test results. She's taking care of her health. That's what matters to me.

*******
Liam

After what happened, I called Dad and talked to him. My news didn't make him happy. I doubt it would.