Returning to school

Reese

We arrived at the house. I took Sage's old bedroom since she shared a bedroom with Romeo. Brian came with me to help me get settled since Devin and Cory had to work, and Brian had the day off.

Brian helped me carry in boxes and set them down in my bedroom. Once we brought the boxes to the room, I started unpacking.

"Where do you want this stuff?" Brian pulled out books.

"You can set them over there." I pointed at a bookcase.

Brian shrugged, helped me unpack my boxes, and put everything away. "So, what happened last night?"

"Mr. and Mrs. Harper had a bonfire the last night. We sat around, ate, and talked." I hung up my clothes in the closet.

"And what about Rafe?"

Rafe was being friendly." I shrugged.

"Are you sure?"

I stopped and looked at Brian, quirking an eyebrow at me. "Yeah, why wouldn't he?"

"I found it interesting that you hung out with him. That's all." Brian shrugged.

I rolled my eyes. "I gave up that dream a long time ago."

"Uh, huh. And you'll tell me that you don't have a glimmer of hope that Rafe might like you back?"

"We're friends. I doubt Rafe sees me as more."

Brian gave me an emphatic look. I don't understand why my brothers made a big deal out of Rafe. You would think it would make them happy that nothing is happening between Rafe and me.

Brian left the bedroom to use the bathroom. My phone beeped. I checked it to find a message from blueeyes.

How was your summer?

I sat down on the bed and moved a strand behind my ear. It wasn't bad.

That doesn't sound promising.

Well, I'm not sure that my crush likes me.

Why do you say that?

I keep getting mixed signals from him.

How so?

Well, yesterday, I thought he would...it's stupid.

What? Tell me.

It's nothing.

Did you follow my suggestion?

Do you mean your ridiculous suggestion about giving my crush a chance? No.

Why not?

Because what if it doesn't work out? Then I passed up a chance with someone better.

You won't know unless you give it a shot.

I don't know.

Then why don't we meet? If I'm not what you want, then you have your answer.

My thumbs hovered over my keyboard. What if I met a serial killer or, worse, an uptight asshole? Ugh. The idea made me nauseous.

I can request a casual date. Wear your running shoes.

Why running shoes?

If it doesn't work, you can dash off into the sunset.

Lol.

What day is good for you?

I pondered blueeyes' question before replying. Does Friday work?