Fixing an issue while dealing with crazy

Rafe

Nik scheduled Liam and me to work together since Brayden had to deal with a personal matter. We showed up at the bakery as Nik stocked the cases with pastries.

"Thanks for coming in," Nik told us.

"Wouldn't it help to hire a few more people?" I asked.

"It would if the kids wanted a job. Most are contented with sponging off their folks."

Liam and I glanced at each other.

"I need to get a cupcake order ready for someone."

"We'll keep an eye on the counter while you take care of the order," Liam said.

"Thanks." Nik hurried into the kitchen to make cupcakes while Liam and I operated the counter.

I pulled on my apron and tied it behind my back.

"Can I talk to you?" Liam asked, putting on his apron.

"About what?"

Liam grabbed a tray of muffins and stacked them on a stand with a glass lid. "It's about Reese."

"What about Reese?" I leaned on the counter and gazed at Liam.

Liam took a deep breath and exhaled. "I dated Reese because I knew you liked her."

I squinted my eyes. "What?"

Liam shifted his eyes from the muffins to me and back.

"What do you mean you dated Reese because you knew I liked her?"

Liam shifted in his spot.

I stood up straight and crossed my arms. "Liam?"

Liam squeezed his eyes shut, then turned to me and opened his eyes. "I dated Reese because I was jealous of you."

I scrunched my face and put my hands on my hips. "What?"

"Yeah."

I rubbed my forehead. "I'll regret my next question, but why?"

"Because you're everything I'm not." He shrugged.

"Are you kidding me?" I arched a brow.

"No." He shook his head.

I scrubbed my face with my hands. "Listen to me. We are two distinct people with different personalities."

"But you don't give a shit what anyone thinks about you."

"True, but it's because I never did. Have you met my brothers?"

Liam cocked his head at me.

"You have Val, who has no issue throwing our asses under the bus. Next is Pat, who lets a stupid woman dominate his emotions. Then Romeo screws everything up. Finally, Marty avoids any girl that shows the slightest romantic interest in him. One of us needs to tell people to get bent. I happen to be that person."

"But you have girls throw themselves at you without trying."

"I had two girlfriends before Reese, and I had to chase Reese's ass to get her."

"When you put it that way, I'm not sure why I was jealous of you."

I rolled my eyes. "Because you were a complete dumbass. Did your dad drop you on your head?"

Liam gave me an annoyed look.

"Liam, we grew up together. Family should care about each other, not compete with each other. Between you and Reese, you both drive me nuts with your logic."