Arrival

Reese

Everyone started arriving and getting settled, besides Romeo and Rafe. Sage said they were running late. Why do I care when Rafe gets here?

My phone beeped. I checked my messages to find one from blueeyes suggesting we meet at the bakery on Friday. I hesitated, then agreed to meet him at the bakery. At least Sage's family would protect me from a pretentious asshole.

Brian and I left and headed to the bakery. Since he was going in a few hours to return home, it gave us a chance to spend time together. As much as my brothers are a pain, I miss them when I'm away at school.

We reached the front door, entered, and walked towards the counter. After placing our order, Braydon gathered it. Brian paid, and we sat down at an empty table.

"Are you ready?" Brian bit into his muffin

"The coach said I have an excellent chance of helping the team reach the finals."

"So, no pressure." Brian shrugged.

I looked at my brother like he was crazy.

"And what about Rafe?"

"Brian."

"Just hear me out, Reese." Brian put up his hand to stop me from protesting. "The guy spent time with you this summer. He ran with you in the morning, which eased our minds. If I didn't know any better, I would say that he likes you."

"But I hung out with everyone this summer."

"True. But how many times was Rafe present?"

I thought about his question. "Almost every time."

Brian gave me a knowing look.

"He was just being nice." I shrugged. "Plus, it doesn't matter."

"Why not?"

"I've sort of have been talking to someone this summer."

Brian arched his brow.

"I met the guy through a matchmaking site."

Brian squinted his eyes at me and cocked his head. "What?"

I gave Brian a sheepish expression.

"Reese, do you realize how dangerous online dating is?"

"That's why we're meeting at the bakery on Friday. Braydon would be here and wouldn't let anything happen to me."

Brian furrowed his brows.

I leaned over the table. "It's not like I have the best luck with guys." My eyes pleaded with Brian not to tell Devin and Cory.

Brian sighed. "Okay. But if anything happens, you call me."

"I will."

The bell chimed. We looked at the door to find Romeo and Rafe entering the bakery.

Romeo hurried past our table. "Hi, Reese. Bye, Reese."

Rafe rolled his eyes as he strolled over to our table. "Don't mind, my idiot brother. He has a bladder the size of a pea."

Brian glanced at Rafe, then at me. He hid his smile with his coffee cup.

I looked up at Rafe. "Did you stop at the house first?"

"Not yet. I figured we would grab some treats, and Romeo needed a bathroom."

"Oh." I lifted my coffee cup and sipped my coffee.

"Why don't you order something and join us?" Brian asked Rafe.